[RFC] Extension Managment using Composer

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Extension Managment using Composer

Post by MichaelC »

I've merged this with the existing topic. It answers your original point of not including an upload feature and details the intergration with titania.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Ok thanks, I have not noticed this was already suggested.

After reading the topic, I still dont understand why are you going to use Composer. Composer is great for developers, but why should it be used for installing Extensions? Why is not the simple upload form + "search and automatically download" feature enough? WP also has this and does not use Composer for it.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

WP don't use it because it was designed before hand - Drupal are moving to composer for their extensions/modules. Composer is much better at handling the transport and it handles dependency resolution in ways that are extremely complicated and it would be way too complicated to try and develop ourselves (I don't know of anyone who would argue with this).

I personally believe we should have an upload form but the transport/integration with titania should be done with composer - That's doing it properly.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Composer is used for handling downloads from remote locations as well as dependency management. For example, you could upload Ext 2 that requires Ext 1, then Composer would grab Ext 1 and install it as well when installing Ext 2.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

EXreaction wrote:Composer is used for handling downloads from remote locations as well as dependency management. For example, you could upload Ext 2 that requires Ext 1, then Composer would grab Ext 1 and install it as well when installing Ext 2.
Like the FreeBSD ports system...nice. I don't think they use Composer (I think it's mostly shell script and wget) for that but that is good functionality if it handles the dependencies.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

you need shell access to run php composer.phar install, since that's not available on shared hosting i see an issue.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

That is only needed for development. For the release this will be done and composer included in the download packages much like we do now with the nightly builds.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

any news?