JIRA needs better integration with phpbb.com

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Dragosvr92

JIRA needs better integration with phpbb.com

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Okay, im not sure where i could report issues with the JIRA Tracker, but here should be good.

So a while back,i had my username changed on phpbb.com. When that happened, instead of changing my JIRA username, it just looks like it assigned me a new username, and my tickets, comments and other activity from the previous username, remained on that username.....

This should be sorted out. Its not normal. Would someone fix this so it changes the usernames normally?
Previous user: TheKiller

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Re: JIRA needs better integration with phpbb.com

Post by Oyabun1 »

If you have a bug to report have a look at the phpBB Projects Tracker and you will see there is a section for the Issue trackers.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

That is correct, unfortunately, due to the nature of Crowd (the service which synchronises logins between phpbb.com and JIRA), it cannot detect changed usernames (there is no real way for it to detect this with the data it has available and it could cause problems if it 'guesses' incorrectly) but can detect new and deleted users. The same thing happened to myself and a number of others when username changes occur.

Bugs for JIRA should be reported to https://www.phpbb.com/bugs/website/ but this would be closed as WNF.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

MichaelC wrote:The same thing happened to myself and a number of others when username changes occur.
So, was your username fixed? Can my old username from JIRA be changed into the one i have now and sync them manually?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Dragosvr92 wrote:
MichaelC wrote:The same thing happened to myself and a number of others when username changes occur.
So, was your username fixed? Can my old username from JIRA be changed into the one i have now and sync them manually?
No, you can still find bugs reported by unknownbliss (his former name).
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I find it odd that it isnt taken into consideration to repair this issue. If i am going to lose my JIRA account once my phpbb.com user is changed. Then I would rather register separately on JIRA. Cant JIRA simply get attached to the userid and get the username and password that way?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

We use Jira at work. Our "usernames" are our E-mail addresses. A couple of years ago, we switched our E-mail naming process. Now I have to log in to Jira with my old E-mail address, not my current address. I don't understand why they can't update them, but maybe there's a reason.

But that begs the question of why you'd change your name. Wasn't "TheKiller" good any more? (I understand that staff here may have been told to use real names, so they had to change, but the rest of us don't.) Just curious....

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

It begs nothing. Usernames can be changed and theres nothing wrong or unusual about that.
What does it matter why I changed my username? We are talking about the functionality of JIRA and username changes.

I think JIRA should stop being attached to the phpbb.com sessions if it cant handle username changes.
We have to register on the discussion board/area51 separately. I dont mind to re register on JIRA for a 3rd time if thats the only way.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Dragosvr92 wrote:It begs nothing. Usernames can be changed and theres nothing wrong or unusual about that.
What does it matter why I changed my username? We are talking about the functionality of JIRA and username changes.

I think JIRA should stop being attached to the phpbb.com sessions if it cant handle username changes.
We have to register on the discussion board/area51 separately. I dont mind to re register on JIRA for a 3rd time if thats the only way.
We use the userbase of phpbb.com as we imported the tracker from our old issue tracker on the main site which used our main userbase. We also want to make it as seamless and easy for users to post bugs and registering twice would just be an extra step to that process would just make UX worse. Only a very tiny number of username change requests come up each year so it's not entirely worth making our UX worse for all new users for the benefit of the 20 or so requests per year for username changes (most of whom don't use the tracker very often if at all).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Sounds fair. But still... would be nice if we could move activity from old/in-existent username to our current one.

It should be possible to run a query that changes the username of a ticket to another user. I would gather all my tickets urls/ids and provide them...
Or maybe not. Nevermind :)