[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Louis7777

Re: Combine all search related functionality

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote:thats exactly my point! Why it will not fit at the top as its currently designed.
Um no we are not saying the same thing :P

It will fit perfectly at the top as it is currently designed - as it already is at the right top (the general search at least)! The header here is not the same as in a fresh phpBB 3.1 installation...

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Regardless of the eventual decision of positioning. The search-tools are now located in a new template file (search_tools.html), so it can be included in whatever place we deem best.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Mess wrote:
PayBas wrote:Image
Love it. Great job.

+1 :)

+1

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

PayBas wrote:Regardless of the eventual decision of positioning. The search-tools are now located in a new template file (search_tools.html), so it can be included in whatever place we deem best.
good point, exactly as I said moot worry about functionallity
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Seems like this will get pushed to 3.2.

In an effort to move the discussion away from GitHub and into A51, I'll copy some of the discussion:
VSE wrote:If these are the View Unanswered posts, New Posts, Unread Posts, Active Topics links that appear at the top of the board index only, I think they should be left as is.
These are incredibly commonly used links by users when they return to a forum, and should not be hidden away and no longer one-click actions.
PayBas wrote:One of the main reasons for this was in fact to hide them. They clutter the layout quite a lot and even get a separate drop-down menu in responsive mode (so they are hidden anyway). This puts them into yet another nondescript dropdown with only the default (3 stripes) menu icon.

They are search functions, and should logically be close to the other search functions.

Better yet: by including them in the search-tools, these links are accessible from almost every page, instead of only the index
VSE wrote:That's all fine, I'm just saying that on the board index page only, I'd prefer it to remain as it has always been (there never was a search field there anyways). They are search functions, yes, but on the board index page, they are quick-access links.
nickvergessen wrote:I'm not sure about combining it with the search like this. I agree that they are special searches, but I'm not sure whether we should remove them completly from the UI (and hide them in a dropdown labeled with "Search")
dhruv.goel92 wrote:^^ I agree, the search UI though needs to improved. A user wont expect "View New posts" etc as a component of search functionality.
nickvergessen wrote:Maybe we can add a dropdown "quick-link" or something like that on the index

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

PayBas wrote:Seems like this will get pushed to 3.2.
At least lets give it a new look for 3.1

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

yes its better go to 3.1

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Well obviously I want it in 3.1 too. But it's not up to me ;).

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 for 3.1 (if it's possible).

Pete77s

Post by Pete77s »

The square search button does stick out like a sore thumb with the 'post reply' and tool button looking slick there.

+1 to less search link clutter