3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Louis7777

Re: 3.1 notifications somewhat difficult to read

Post by Louis7777 »

PayBas wrote:With text-overflow: ellipsis, and avatar margin-right slightly increased.
Untitled-2.png
Same size for all avatars? Yes, of course.

Better styling for dates (smaller font, other shade etc.)? Sure, yeah.

Different approach to the notification text? Please don't :|

In my opinion, "Sumanai quoted you in the post" is better than "Quoted by Sumanai in". The first one shows more interaction between users and it is the way that Facebook does it...

Can we try to improve the styling first? And then decide whether to change the text?

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Louis7777 wrote:In my opinion, "Sumanai quoted you in the post" is better than "Quoted by Sumanai in". The first one shows more interaction between users and it is the way that Facebook does it...
Personally I don't care much for the "personal touch". I want information as fast and compact as possible.

But that's what an RFC is for, so we can discuss it :).

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Since the issue here is about notifications being difficult to read I suggest that we also think about this:

Are notifications difficult to read on Facebook? (since the concept of our notification box has been inspired by Facebook's)

Maybe all we need is to improve the styling.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Louis7777 wrote:
PayBas wrote:In my opinion, "Sumanai quoted you in the post" is better than "Quoted by Sumanai in". The first one shows more interaction between users and it is the way that Facebook does it...
I feel the other way. The 2nd (on the right) is clearer because it separates the the post content from notification content. Doing so makes it easier for your eyes to go straight to the information that is important.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:Since the issue here is about notifications being difficult to read I suggest that we also think about this:

Are notifications difficult to read on Facebook? (since the concept of our notification box has been inspired by Facebook's)

Maybe all we need is to improve the styling.
The answer to your question is yes they are! Not to mention facebook notifications are simpler concepts to capture as they only show user actions and not user type actions. But as I stated they use a larger area for notifications which I think should be done here as well. Its way too small.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

hanakin wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:Are notifications difficult to read on Facebook?
The answer to your question is yes they are!
I tend to agree. Facebook is not the holy grail, and I personally don't think their notifications are ideal. Especially not for phpBB.
hanakin wrote:But as I stated they use a larger area for notifications which I think should be done here as well. Its way too small.
I actually like the compact style, but I guess it could be a bit wider. But I'm not sure how much wider is actually needed. In my last mockup I think about 40px extra width would be needed to display everything. There simply isn't that much to display ;).

I personally also like your version better, but since it's such a drastic departure from proSilver, I think we should push it (or something similar) to 3.2.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

as request mockup of my version with Prosilver look to it.
notification-mocup.png
notification-mocup.png (56.15 KiB) Viewed 8084 times
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Apart from the fact that I think photoshop has weirded out a bit on the font rendering, I like it. Colors might need some tweaking though.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

lookin good paybas

as for hanakin's, I think the notification type should be on top, not bottom.
Has an irascible disposition.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

VSE wrote:I think the notification type should be on top, not bottom.
Functionally: yes. Esthetically: no. 8-)