[RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Master_Cylinder »

5) all ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Mess

Post by Mess »

I think the best solutions would be:
"A setting that limits the level on a per-forum basis, configurable for each forum/category (or no limit at all)".
Default being "multi level", like today.

That would be consistent with how things are done today, with the option to add the new functionality if desired.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

^Yeah, what Mess said.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I'm implementing it now, but code-wise it's way easier to have a boolean for: either only direct children, or all children. A "level" setting (exactly specifying the level of children to display as an integer) is a hassle.

Would there be a serious situation in which people would want to display level 1 and 2, but not 3? I think 99% would either want to display 1 level, or all.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

PayBas wrote:I think 99% would either want to display 1 level, or all.
Isn't it what we were talking about? Option for one or all. And have one of the two be the default for every forum (one level or multi-level).

So in the end, for every forum, we'll have a "List subforums in legend" option, a "List subforum in parent-forum’s legend" option and a new option to display 1 or all levels.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Louis7777 wrote:
PayBas wrote:I think 99% would either want to display 1 level, or all.
Isn't it what we were talking about? Option for one or all. And have one of the two be the default for every forum (one level or multi-level).

So in the end, for every forum, we'll have a "List subforums in legend" option, a "List subforum in parent-forum’s legend" option and a new option to display 1 or all levels.
Yeah that's what I'm doing now, but I originally thought about implementing as a level selector, since it would give more control. But the more I thought about it, the less likely it seemed to me to be a valuable extra.

skouat

Post by skouat »

Hi,

I've seen your last PR regarding this RFC.

Maybe it's too late, but your idea is close to my MOD Subforums list in categories.

Maybe you could include/merge in your PR my MOD changes? :P

Regards.