Defining a New Default Theme

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Defining a New Default Theme

Post by hanakin »

While I agree it is probably a talking point I did not add it to the list because their are already many posts discussing this topic and they seem to go no where since their is very little front-end experience on these forums to debate the topic form all sides effectively.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Made some changes to the order as well as some re-wording of one or two topics to follow the design process better.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Olivier C wrote:Hello,

I'm French. I do not know English and I correspond with you using Google Translate ...

I am interested in phpBB3 recent weeks. I observed failures default themes (prosilver). For some days I want a solution to propose a new default theme for phpBB. Why not using a framework such as bootstrap ?

PS: Personally, I am working to adapt my personal framework for phpBB3.0.12 (css grid, sass, html5, metadata, responsive design, etc.), and it does not work so bad.

Examples of some pages online (the project theme is under construction).
@ Olivier C - Please post back when the theme you posted is working correctly (currently it's not). I would like to see it.

Olivier C

Post by Olivier C »

keith10456 wrote:@ Olivier C - Please post back when the theme you posted is working correctly (currently it's not). I would like to see it.
@ keith10456:

Indeed, my theme is not operational in the state. I created a framework html/css/js that, for the moment, has been adapted for WordPress.

I wanted to adapt it for phpBB3 for a personal project. But in the view of the current default theme, I quickly realized that I could perhaps offer my help for the next default theme phpBB3, in terms of integration.

I do not know enough to qualify for phpBB development. But I can speak enough CSS, and I work with SASS. I could effectively help the integration html5/css/js the next default theme.

The phpBB community could she be interested ?
If the answer is yes, how should I do to integrate the project ?

--- Original message in French : ---

@keith10456 :

Effectivement, mon thème n'est pas opérationnel en l'état. J'ai créé un framework html/css/js qui, pour le moment, n'a été adapté que pour WordPress.

Je souhaitais l'adapter pour phpBB3, pour un projet personnel. Mais à la vue du thème par défaut actuel, j'ai vite réalisé que je pouvais peut-être proposer mon aide pour le prochain thème par défaut de phpBB3, sur le plan de l'intégration.

Je ne connais pas assez phpBB pour prétendre à du développement. Mais je maitrise suffisament le CSS, et je travaille avec SASS. Je pourrais aider efficacement à l'intégration html5/css/js du prochain thème par défaut.

La communauté phpBB pourrait-elle être intéressée ?
Si la réponse est oui, comment dois-je faire pour m'intégrer au projet ?

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Olivier C wrote:
keith10456 wrote:@ Olivier C - Please post back when the theme you posted is working correctly (currently it's not). I would like to see it.
@ keith10456:

Indeed, my theme is not operational in the state. I created a framework html/css/js that, for the moment, has been adapted for WordPress.

I wanted to adapt it for phpBB3 for a personal project. But in the view of the current default theme, I quickly realized that I could perhaps offer my help for the next default theme phpBB3, in terms of integration.

I do not know enough to qualify for phpBB development. But I can speak enough CSS, and I work with SASS. I could effectively help the integration html5/css/js the next default theme.

The phpBB community could she be interested ?
If the answer is yes, how should I do to integrate the project ?
One of the devs could point you in the direction of how/where to contribute.

I know for certain I would love to to be able to have a phpbb custom page/theme that can be designed like one of the ones you linked to. Good work!

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Re-organized the remaining topics again to follow the design process as well as by some time for the more in-depth subjects that require some detailed examples.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Up since I have made a lot of the topics and discussion has picked up I thought I would just direct everyone to the updated list https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 35#p263435

FloFlo91

Post by FloFlo91 »

Another idea is to etablish a simple style editor in admin panel with main informations.

For exemple, let's the possibility to change some colors, images that are in CSS, font-size, etc...

It will be usefull for administrators who don't really know CSS.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

FloFlo91 wrote:Another idea is to etablish a simple style editor in admin panel with main informations.

For exemple, let's the possibility to change some colors, images that are in CSS, font-size, etc...

It will be usefull for administrators who don't really know CSS.
+1 to that.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

-1 this is not something I want to see, this is a step backwards as it requires DB of the style

their are easier ways of doing this without having to touch the admin panel. we will be utilizing pre-processing with variables for all the colors. so all you have to do is edit the variables and re-complie and compress the css.

3. We need to use a pre-processor such as LESS or which ever is decided upon.
9. The css/js that is served and cached should be minified/compressed/gzipped.