[RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
PayBas

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by PayBas »

Having an option in the UCP will give users the potential to break design.

If you have a forum with many sub-sub forums, the difference between single- or multi-level output can be pretty drastic, potentially breaking your well-crafted designs.

So if we would make this an UCP option, there would need to be an ACP setting too, to overrule the UCP. So the starting point would still be the ACP if we want to implement this.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Let's just have another ACP option along with "List subforums in legend" and "List subforum in parent-forum’s legend".

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Let's just skip the UCP options... ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This would just need to be an option when setting up the category in ACP. Forget about the UCP option as that doesn't necessarily make sense.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:The user should only be allowed to decide what the admin wants the users to decide.
For important things (like the ability to post URLs/images/Flash, group names or board security issues), yes.

For purely display-oriented things (like how many posts per page are displayed, topic ordering or sub-forum depth), no. The admin might set a default for those things, but the user should be able to change them. Otherwise you're just micro-managing.

Now if there are good technical reasons to prevent the user from having control, that's another issue.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

PayBas wrote:Having an option in the UCP will give users the potential to break design.

If you have a forum with many sub-sub forums, the difference between single- or multi-level output can be pretty drastic, potentially breaking your well-crafted designs.
But if it displays them all already, it won't matter. The UCP option would just allow them to see what they were used to seeing. If that broke the design, maybe the user wouldn't like the results and would change it back.

Plus, I doubt that many new users would change the default anyway, so only experienced phpBB users would probably use it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Pony99CA wrote: For purely display-oriented things (like how many posts per page are displayed, topic ordering or sub-forum depth), no. The admin might set a default for those things, but the user should be able to change them. Otherwise you're just micro-managing.
I disagree; I don't want my users altering how I want most things displayed. If I want all subforum levels displayed (or not) that should be the end of it.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Mess

Post by Mess »

I don't agree that this should be an UCP option. Leave it to admins to decide on the forum layout.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 for the "proposed" option. All of those links just confuses people and make unnecessary clutter. Always keep mobile in mind...

-1 for the UCP option. Unnecessary.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

keith10456 wrote:Always keep mobile in mind...
And never neglect desktop users with large monitors either. :)