[RFC] Add user warning indication to viewtopic posts

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
PayBas

[RFC] Add user warning indication to viewtopic posts

Post by PayBas »

I suggest we add a class to the post container to indicate whether a poster has active warnings. This is obviously not the same as an issued report, which is already actively being displayed in the post.

By adding a class to the post container, we will easily be able to do things like this. It makes it easier to keep an eye on toxic members without having to browse to see their details:
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 30651 times
The CSS styling itself doesn't need to be in the core, but adding it to the template might come in handy.

In short, change this:

Code: Select all

<div id="p{postrow.POST_ID}" class="post <!-- IF postrow.S_ROW_COUNT is odd -->bg1<!-- ELSE -->bg2<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_UNREAD_POST --> unreadpost<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_POST_REPORTED --> reported<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_POST_DELETED --> deleted<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_ONLINE and not postrow.S_POST_HIDDEN --> online<!-- ENDIF -->">
To this:

Code: Select all

<div id="p{postrow.POST_ID}" class="post <!-- IF postrow.S_ROW_COUNT is odd -->bg1<!-- ELSE -->bg2<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_UNREAD_POST --> unreadpost<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_POST_REPORTED --> reported<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_POST_DELETED --> deleted<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.S_ONLINE and not postrow.S_POST_HIDDEN --> online<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF postrow.POSTER_WARNINGS --> warned<!-- ENDIF -->">
edit: and of course change POSTER_WARNINGS assignment to something with $auth->acl_get('m_warn')

aleha

Re: [RFC] Add user warning indication to viewtopic posts

Post by aleha »

Don't know if this should go to core, but +1 for this as an extension. Furthermore it would be really useful if the number of active warnings is displayed.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

That's the point I was trying to make. By changing 2 lines in the core (99% is already in place, but not used), we won't need a separate extension for this, just a simple few extra rules of CSS that style authors can make themselves.

The new extension system is great, but having dozens of extensions for very minor tweaks seems unnecessary. Especially for something as trivial as this.

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

I like the idea. +1 :)

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Who will be able to see that warning? If regular members can see it then I think it's not a good idea, because reporters may frame other users for no valid reason.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Louis7777 wrote:Who will be able to see that warning? If regular members can see it then I think it's not a good idea, because reporters may frame other users for no valid reason.
Everyone with $auth->acl_get('m_warn') permissions.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

I support +1

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Seems reasonable to me, especially if you can overlay the warning count there.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Great idea Paybas +1

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The only problem I see with this, is that it does not indicate what it actually means. It's just some red with an exclamation mark. It should really indicate what it means at first glance, to the casual viewer.

It' could be harder to implement, but something like this could also work, and is more user-informative:
warned.png
warned.png (15.09 KiB) Viewed 30400 times
Has an irascible disposition.