[RFC] Index tabbed

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] Index tabbed

Post by brunoais »

keith10456 wrote: This isn't bad either... Especially if something like this be done with jquery as opposed to cookies.
Both are unrelated. jQuery is just a (good) DOM wrapper with some beautifiers (utility functions). Using cookies to store state has nothing to do about if it works using jQuery or not.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

brunoais wrote:
keith10456 wrote: This isn't bad either... Especially if something like this be done with jquery as opposed to cookies.
Both are unrelated. jQuery is just a (good) DOM wrapper with some beautifiers (utility functions). Using cookies to store state has nothing to do about if it works using jQuery or not.
Thanks for the explanation.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I really hate this tab stuff we use in prosilver. So I don't like to see it on the index.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

-1 for me...too ugly.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

-1. I think for this can be make extension.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

-1 I think too for this can be make extension.
Greeting Stephan :-)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I agree no tabs but I also agree that the section needs a lot of love and condensing. If you break it down their are four parts Stats, Legend, Online Users, Birthdays.
I propose using something similar to what I mocked up here for the stats section center on the screen

then link the online count to reveal the full online section beneath and displaying the legend underneath the new stat section like so centered as well

as for the birthdays that is already configureable to turn off so just give it a little treatment to match the new style and maybe make it collapsable.

you can also lose the members link and just link the total members stat to the members page.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

The numbers/letters are too close together making them harder to read and I don't think we need the background box either. Just render them same color as the text.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

hanakin wrote:I agree no tabs but I also agree that the section needs a lot of love and condensing. If you break it down their are four parts Stats, Legend, Online Users, Birthdays.
I propose using something similar to what I mocked up here for the stats section center on the screen

then link the online count to reveal the full online section beneath and displaying the legend underneath the new stat section like so centered as well

as for the birthdays that is already configureable to turn off so just give it a little treatment to match the new style and maybe make it collapsable.

you can also lose the members link and just link the total members stat to the members page.
Although I personally think your styling looks nice, this will be very specific to your taste. You could do this using CSS. RFCs are for implementation in the core, and I don't think this would be a valuable addition for everyone.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I understand that, I am not suggesting using this specific styling this was just an example that I had lying around. I am just suggesting that content could be better broken up in order to facilitate. IE legend should be its own section instead of grouped with online and the stats section can be used to hide show or navigate to content instead of tabs which I am not a fan of. The order would alos change to stats, online, legend, birthday
Donations welcome via Paypal Image