[RFC] AJAX via jQuery / jQuery UI

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Sierron

Re: [RFC] AJAX via jQuery / jQuery UI

Post by Sierron »

uk_martin wrote:AJAX or HTML5?
Or both???
What?

GameCharmer

Post by GameCharmer »

With people still running IE6 (eek!), I donno if moving to HTML5 would be a good idea. Granted, I would be all for it, but there will still be hundreds of people freaking out over the change.

Meh...

uk_martin

Post by uk_martin »

They freaked out when colour television took over from black and white. They freaked out when the analogue TV signal was replaced by the digital signal.

According to my site stats, there is still some sad person using Windows 3.11, and Netscape Navigator 2 visiting my site. How long do you have to pander to these people? It's a brave new world out there with the emphasis on needing to be brave and needing to keep it new.

Just my opinion of course.

JUST A THOUGHT - why not do a phpBB "Retro" board? HTML4, with the latest security patches in place but apart from that, no fancy gizmos, just plain vanilla and compatable with all stone age technology that the luddites are still using?

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

uk_martin wrote:HTML4, with the latest security patches in place
What are you talking about?
GameCharmer wrote:With people still running IE6 (eek!), I donno if moving to HTML5 would be a good idea. Granted, I would be all for it, but there will still be hundreds of people freaking out over the change.Meh...
As far as I know, IE6 is officially not supported anymore (or not)? But anyways. No one should care anymore about IE6 in any way. Even microsoft wants to get rid of it.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

uk_martin wrote:AJAX or HTML5?

Or both???
Rather than just suggesting that we use HTML5 and AJAX, how about explaining what it would to and why it would be useful?

HTML5 alone is simply an update to HTML, with a few extra tags. And if you're talking about JavaScript and AJAX, where would these be used? Be specific!
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

(I was browsing through old RFCs...)

PhpBB 3.1 now has jQuery and uses AJAX. Let's consider this one as merged/closed?