[RFC] Index tabbed

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Louis7777

[RFC] Index tabbed

Post by Louis7777 »

How about combining the "Who is online", "Birthdays [χ]" and "Statistics" in a tabbed interface?

Pros:
  • Less scrolling for mobile users and for anyone with a small screen.
  • You can further style each module (Who is online, Birthdays, Statistics) since they won't take up much screen space.
  • It's easy to make it responsive (see the tabs in the ACP).
  • Users can jab the tabs with their fat fingers on their touchscreens.
  • It looks neat.
There's already a mod for this so here's how it looks like:

view image

It is similar to how Options, Attachments and Poll creation are currently groupped together:
screenie.png
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 1136 times
The current implementation utilizes JavaScript but we can also have a CSS fallback:

Mess

Re: [RFC] Index tabbed

Post by Mess »

-1 no thank you please.
I know its "popular" but I just think it looks cheap.

I appreciate you made a detailed RFC, though. And it shows that you put thought into it.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

As soon as a few of my pull requests get merged, this should be easy for extensions to do.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Mess wrote: I know its "popular" but I just think it looks cheap.
Having a tabbed interface in general at that part of the index you mean or is the specific example that looks ugly/cheap?

May I add, the aforementioned mod has an on/off switch in ACP.
PayBas wrote:As soon as a few of my pull requests get merged, this should be easy for extensions to do.
Do you mean that you're considering to make an extension? :P

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Makes everything much more organized and neat...(and I love tabs)....this would be nice
+1
However even if it doesn't make it into core, an extension would be nice :S

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Louis7777 wrote:Do you mean that you're considering to make an extension? :P
No. Because I don't make extensions for stuff that I don't personally need ;).

I'm just saying that there are a few template events being considered for merging that would make this feature easier to implement in an extension.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Mess wrote:-1 no thank you please.
"Cheap"? The UCP uses tabs, too. I think that having rows and rows of birthdays and online users (on a busy board) looks worse. (Statistics is only one line, so I don't care if there's a tab for that or not.)

I like the tabs and think that they should be used in the ProSilver style by default. There's no need for an option in the ACP for that feature. If somebody wants the old way, they can use a different style. (Now, if you want an option in the UCP, that would be more appropriate. Let the users choose how they want to view the board.)

I would also make the Statistics tab the first (and default) tab. I think that more people are interested in how many posts and members a board has than who happens to be visiting at that time and whose birthday it is.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

Pony99CA wrote:
Mess wrote:-1 no thank you please.
"Cheap"? The UCP uses tabs, too. I think that having rows and rows of birthdays and online users (on a busy board) looks worse. (Statistics is only one line, so I don't care if there's a tab for that or not.)

I like the tabs and think that they should be used in the ProSilver style by default. There's no need for an option in the ACP for that feature. If somebody wants the old way, they can use a different style. (Now, if you want an option in the UCP, that would be more appropriate. Let the users choose how they want to view the board.)

I would also make the Statistics tab the first (and default) tab. I think that more people are interested in how many posts and members a board has than who happens to be visiting at that time and whose birthday it is.

Steve
i agree.
How about profile in tabs? but for that we must change id with a class.
+1
sorry for my bad english :oops:

Mess

Post by Mess »

Pony99CA wrote:I like the tabs and think that they should be used in the ProSilver style by default. There's no need for an option in the ACP for that feature. If somebody wants the old way, they can use a different style. (Now, if you want an option in the UCP, that would be more appropriate. Let the users choose how they want to view the board.)
Wow, so not only do you think what you like is more important, you also want to "remove" the option for me to change it back. :roll:
Anyway, what ever the style team feels is best I'm fine with. Chances are high I'm not gonna be using the default theme. I think tabs on the index looks cheap and dated. A better way would be to use a more modern footer with the details.
Pony99CA wrote:I would also make the Statistics tab the first (and default) tab. I think that more people are interested in how many posts and members a board has than who happens to be visiting at that time and whose birthday it is.
Sigh, maybe a first time visitor is interested in how many posts/members a board has.
Regular members don't care about that, they primarily care about who is online or who's birthday it is. When is the last time you looked at the stats here on Area51?

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Mess wrote: Sigh, maybe a first time visitor is interested in how many posts/members a board has.
Regular members don't care about that, they primarily care about who is online or who's birthday it is. When is the last time you looked at the stats here on Area51?
I primarily care about who is online indeed - I want to spy on other people :)