[RFC] Move "print view" and "email friend" into the topic tools

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Louis7777

[RFC] Move "print view" and "email friend" into the topic tools

Post by Louis7777 »

Printing and emailing a friend about a topic are actions associated with a specific topic so how about moving those icons inside the topic tools dropdown list?

PayBas

Re: [RFC] Move "print view" and "email friend" into the topic tools

Post by PayBas »

Agreed. Less clutter = better.

But the print and email links are also displayed when reading PM, and there are no "topic tools" there (yet).

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

+1 to this

Kinda unrelated but I also hope that the quick-mod tools and jumpbox will eventually be changed to look like the topic tools dropdown :/ a PR was made but it hasn't been implemented...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:Printing and emailing a friend about a topic are actions associated with a specific topic so how about moving those icons inside the topic tools dropdown list?
That sounds good, but only if they put Topic Tools at the top of the page as well (in other words, at the top and bottom). I had to look for a while to find the new icon; Bookmark and Subscribe stood out much better. People who use printing or E-mailing a lot might get confused if they aren't at the top.
PayBas wrote:But the print and email links are also displayed when reading PM, and there are no "topic tools" there (yet).
So create a PM Tools menu. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Pony99CA wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:Printing and emailing a friend about a topic are actions associated with a specific topic so how about moving those icons inside the topic tools dropdown list?
That sounds good, but only if they put Topic Tools at the top of the page as well (in other words, at the top and bottom). I had to look for a while to find the new icon; Bookmark and Subscribe stood out much better. People who use printing or E-mailing a lot might get confused if they aren't at the top.
I don't agree. The topic options bookmark/subscribe/print/email are specifically for the topic, not the overall website. So it should be as close to the topic content as possible. Besides... you only have to find it 1 time, every time after that, you will know where it is.
Pony99CA wrote:
PayBas wrote:But the print and email links are also displayed when reading PM, and there are no "topic tools" there (yet).
So create a PM Tools menu. ;)
Perhaps, yes.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Pony99CA wrote:That sounds good, but only if they put Topic Tools at the top of the page as well (in other words, at the top and bottom)...
It already is?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 Printing is one the decline anyway. No need for the icon to take-up space unnecessarily.

As stated, though. The topics tools icon should be on the top and bottom.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Topic Tools icon is at the top and bottom!
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:That sounds good, but only if they put Topic Tools at the top of the page as well (in other words, at the top and bottom)...
It already is?
Ah, so it is. I didn't notice there by the Post Reply button. (Again, it doesn't stand out very well.)

As it is there, please do put the Print and E-mail items there.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

VSE+ wrote:Topic Tools icon is at the top and bottom!
lol... I just noticed that.