[RFC] Notifications Smaller Font Size?

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Notifications Smaller Font Size?

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:
Mess wrote:Also "CTRL+Mousewheel up" to enlarge the whole internet. ;-)
Yes, but there's a big difference between Zoom and just resizing the text. Specifically, Zoom resizes everything (and text doesn't reflow), while font resizing should only affect text (and it should reflow properly). What good is making the text bigger if you then have to scroll left/right to read each line?

Steve
It was removed a very long time ago:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commit/4 ... 25e5d3c9dd

And here's the discussion topic:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=41196

Feel free to revive it.

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Notifications Smaller Font Size?

Post by Pony99CA »

Mess wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Mess wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:What looks "cartoonish" are the avatars. I don't think that the fonts look bad either way.

However, for those of us who are nearsighted, let's keep the font larger and provide a way to resize the font instead. (Does phpBB 3.1 still have the font resizer? I don't see it on Area 51 or phpBB.com, but that may be a style choice.)
I don't agree. The layout should be matching, and enlarge/shrunk together.
You don't agree with what? I made several statements there.

And what layout should be "matching"? Yes, everything should be changed together, but I never said that they shouldn't (that's why I mentioned the phpBB font resizer). The font resizer in phpBB 3.1 (if it still exists) should control all text on the page, including notifications.
Sorry I thought it was obvious what I meant.
I don't agree that the font size should be kept as it is currently (beta2), it should be lowered as VSE suggest. It would then better match the surrounding text. You can click the notification link and see he is right. I makes no sense to argue about it. Unless you are suggesting that, that specific text should be larger (non uniform) for some reason.
If it's a matter of uniformity, that's one thing, but not what the original post said. All that said was that it would "look better".
Am I the only one thinking the notifications window looks a little cartoonish with its current font size? Just dropping it one size I think looks better.
There's nothing about uniformity there.

And uniformity with what? In a topic view, the notification text is smaller than the topic title and maybe slightly larger than the default topic body. So what should it be unform with?
DavidIQ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Mess wrote:Also "CTRL+Mousewheel up" to enlarge the whole internet. ;-)
Yes, but there's a big difference between Zoom and just resizing the text. Specifically, Zoom resizes everything (and text doesn't reflow), while font resizing should only affect text (and it should reflow properly). What good is making the text bigger if you then have to scroll left/right to read each line?
It was removed a very long time ago:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commit/4 ... 25e5d3c9dd

And here's the discussion topic:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=41196

Feel free to revive it.
Thanks for the info. I have revived it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.