All PHP Frameworks Suck!!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Alien_Time

All PHP Frameworks Suck!!

Post by Alien_Time »

I recently read this interesting article that highlights the answer given by php creator "Rasmus Lerdorf" when somebody asked what he thinks about PHP framework.

That was in an event about PHP frameworks. What was interesting is that he said that the PHP frameworks, they all suck. This was an interesting reaction, especially in a PHP event for frameworks. So, it's like saying, All you guys are using things that suck.

Read this: http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/227 ... de-44.html

batmanzordon

Re: All PHP Frameworks Suck!!

Post by batmanzordon »

And how exactly should we use PHP according to creator?

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Sure, everything sucks blabla, but I am glad I can create working and secure application for my clients in reasonable time for good price, so I am gonna use frameworks as much as possible.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

I made a steak dinner one night that I thought was terrible but everyone else loved it. We are often our own biggest critics.

Either that, or he's eccentric now? :lol:

florizel

Post by florizel »

Well, that is his mere opinion.

Socially Uncensored

Post by Socially Uncensored »

And this has nothing to do with the fact that Rasmus Lerdorf is working on his own framework

/sarcasm

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Rasmus Lerdorf voted against the deprecation of the crappy mysql_ libraries in PHP. It's probably not a great idea to listen to everything he says.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/mysql_deprecation
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I know. I also read some ridiculous argument over silly things between the php developers (rasmus and another guy) dated in 2002 on the idea of introducing array() into php. Rasmus was against it saying it made more sense to leave it as [1,2,3] than using a new system like array(1,2,3). 12 years later this is the most used in php. Sometimes I dont know if the php creators actually uses php in everyday programming.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

IMO the only 2 times that frameworks sucks is when one can't hook up 2 different php systems (like phpBB 3.1 and WordPress), all because of the Symfony framework.

Also some framework are so bloated that you would only use then when you don't have a choice. I fail to understand the use of twig in 3.1 when phpBB 3.0.x theme system is one of the best due to the fact that it light and not bloated.

Ok I'm on the quick reply page and I see this: Queries: 28 | Peak Memory Usage: 13.39 MiB. That is really bad.

One last hint to the devs: http://forum.dion-designs.com//p14326/#p14326

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

You are assuming that phpBB developers, users, and extension authors also know WordPress and even care to learn WordPress and you're very wrong in this assumption. :roll: And no we wouldn't include a WordPress file or library in the core packages especially knowing that if you don't use their "security hardening" plugins you're asking for trouble.

And you keep complaining about Twig as if we got rid of the phpBB template engine when all that was done was to enhance it. The same syntax as before is usable but the option is now there to use Twig if one so wishes. If we took the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude we wouldn't have bothered with 3.1 at all. ;-)