Prosilver redesign

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Prosilver redesign

Post by Meis2M »

Hi
whats your idea about redesign the prosilver style ?

this style is old , not modern and not good for 2014.

my idea is phpbb can use new frameworks like BootStrap and FontAwesom .

thanks.
Last edited by Meis2M on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Master_Cylinder

Re: Prosilver redesign

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I think prosilver is fine but it could use a few tweaks.

I've suggested centering vertically the topic name and description. Centering the category/forum names would look nice. I also suggested combining the Topics/Posts and the Replies/Views columns into one "Statistics" column like we_clearblue does. As I said in another topic, some might consider a menu system instead of links more modern but I'm neutral on that one...

They've already made it responsive and I think the devs said no to bootstrap already.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

+1 for Modernizing Prosilver. But what can be done to modernize it? As of 3.1, the responsive layout for prosilver itself is a very big improvement. Although visually there might not be much difference but it is on the right track in terms of modernizing it. Although I can create styles using html, css, javascript, I struggle with the designing aspect. Recently in some another topic I read Kamahl's suggestion of maybe having a competition for web designers on their ideas of a modernized prosilver for phpbb. I think that may be a good idea. Even if not, would love to hear ideas from designer on how the style can be modernized (NOTE: I said Designers and NOT Master_Cyclinder! Please dont ruin yet another topic with your arguments just because your dont agree!)

I dont want the style to be changed completely. I like some of the aspects of prosilver. But I personally am curious to know what needs to be done in order for it to be "modernized". Is it the colour theme, or icons for menus, layout of menus, layout of posts and topic lists, etc.. etc..

Bootstrap is an idea. I dont know why the developers rejected this idea before. I havent read those discussions. Could it be that they are not too familiar with Bootstrap and didint want to worry about that for maybe the 3.1 version? I do see a lot of new sites and amazing styles are being built over bootstrap now-a-days.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Bootstrap may have been rejected for a few reasons. It used to be pretty awful and bloated for one (perhaps when the decision was made). Also I don't think there is any use for bootstrap in an existing style, only if a new one is designed.

What would really be fantastic I think would be to design a new style for the REST API that is being worked on. A nice new style could be built using AngularJS with "AJAX" everything. But that would take quite a while to see the light of day...

Master_Cylinder

Alien_Time wrote: (NOTE: I said Designers and NOT Master_Cyclinder! Please dont ruin yet another topic with your arguments just because your dont agree!)
You don't get to decide who can reply. :roll:
These kids today...

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

He does not. Feel free to express your opinion and reply, but dont repeat your opinion until everybody stop arguing with you and topics gets abandoned. So many good discussions were stopped because you could not stop so I am begging you too, dont ruin this too.

EXreaction, I had no idea that you (not just you but maybe also the whole phpbb team) might change your opinion on BS. I remember that Arty and some others was really against it. It is true that we cant compare BS 3 with its previous versions. BS 3 is made really professionally, performance is pretty good. I also use it in my projects now, before I used my own CSS framework.

Will the RESP API be ready for 3.1? What is its current state? It would be pretty awesome to have ajaxed style, but I personally dont like Angular. There is to much magic for me. I prefer CanJS and Backbone

Master_Cylinder

Kamahl19 wrote:He does not. Feel free to express your opinion and reply, but dont repeat your opinion until everybody stop arguing with you and topics gets abandoned.
Also not *your* decision. I'll reply when I feel a need. If a few people don't like my debate style, that's what the foe list is for but I won't be told by users here when I can or can't reply.

You might notice that I gave *my* suggestions and haven't made more or argued against others (yet) but when I see something that I agree/disagree with I will (or might) and that's allowed here.
These kids today...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The REST API will not make it into 3.1. It's under development by galaxy abstractor as he has time.

I do ask that we keep this and other conversations civil. Everyone has their own opinion and there is always someone who will disagree with it. Disagreement of opinions need not become personal arguments.

Master_Cylinder

Kamahl19 wrote:EXreaction, I had no idea that you (not just you but maybe also the whole phpbb team) might change your opinion on BS. I remember that Arty and some others was really against it. It is true that we cant compare BS 3 with its previous versions. BS 3 is made really professionally, performance is pretty good. I also use it in my projects now, before I used my own CSS framework.
Was it also a license issue or am I thinking of some other framework discussion?
These kids today...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Bootstrap is licensed under MIT, so it is compatible.