What is the future of phpBB????

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Danielx64

Re: What is the future of phpBB????

Post by Danielx64 »

Mind you sometime you need to edit your theme for some plugins to work in wordpress.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Danielx64 wrote:Mind you sometime you need to edit your theme for some plugins to work in wordpress.
I've never had to but I'm sure that not all plugins could be 100% compatible with *every* theme; that's still a far cry from what phpBB has now where installing any style/language requires manual edits from virtually every MOD that is or will be installed. The new extension system might help but styles, languages and extensions should be separate from the core files and each other, much like WP.

I still don't think prosilver is bad either... ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Doesn't phpBB 3.1 support Extensions in styles so that people won't need to make changes to their styles to support Extensioins? If so, the only time changes to styles should be necessary is if the developers add new hooks in the styles, right?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Master_Cylinder

I'm not a web developer either; I have no idea, but if styles, extensions and the core are all separate that sounds like a step in the right direction. Changing styles should be simple, regardless of which extensions are already installed.
These kids today...

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Please keep the discussion civil. If you can't respond to another user's ideas without attacking them, then use the ignore feature.

Master_Cylinder

As I mentioned in the Responsive Layout topic I *would* like to see the statistics column from we_clearblue instead of the dual columns in prosilver and I'd like to see topic titles and descriptions vertically centered like they are in we_clearblue but other than that and a few other minor personal tweaks I've made, prosilver isn't bad. One could argue that a menu, instead of links, might be more modern too but I'm neutral there.

Since the new styles should be easier to replace changing styles will become a non-issue. If it's replaced with something totally new, then there will still be people that don't like the new one so why not just fix up prosilver a little and let each admin install new styles that they like...
These kids today...

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Master_Cylinder wrote:As I mentioned in the Responsive Layout topic I *would* like to see the statistics column from we_clearblue instead of the dual columns in prosilver
I can see the use of this (however I don't really like repeating topics/posts and posts/views on each row), feel free to start a new topic about this one fact and then ticket + PR when users agree
Master_Cylinder wrote:I'd like to see topic titles and descriptions vertically centered like they are in we_clearblue
New RFC + ticket + PR
Master_Cylinder wrote:One could argue that a menu, instead of links, might be more modern too but I'm neutral there.
Create a new RFC and see where it goes?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Master_Cylinder

I thought this was just a discussion, I did suggest the ideas in the "Responsive Layout"merged RFC a while back too. I don't write PRs...but I could start a new RFC if that's needed...
nickvergessen wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:As I mentioned in the Responsive Layout topic I *would* like to see the statistics column from we_clearblue instead of the dual columns in prosilver
I can see the use of this (however I don't really like repeating topics/posts and posts/views on each row), feel free to start a new topic about this one fact and then ticket + PR when users agree
I think it's better to have the repeating topics/posts and posts/views on each row because when you combine the column to "statistics" or the way it currently is, if you're near the bottom of the page people might not remember which number is which and they would have to scroll back to the top to see if the top/bottom or left/right is one or the other. I guess it also depends on how many forums/topics there are...
These kids today...

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

rusty105 wrote:
Arty wrote:Community hasn't changed. Many people always wanted integrated CMS, some coders have created solutions for them such as phpNuke, phpBBFM, phpBB Plus, Icy Phoenix, etc.

phpBB is forum software and will probably always stay only forum software.

Trying to be everything is never a good idea. Just look at vBulletin as example - in 3.x it was a forum, 4.x and 5.x are trying to be everything and ended up being good at nothing and now people are running away from vBulletin like a plague.
Please don't use vB as an example. They could ruin a sunny day :) IPB seems to have done it well, but costs. I think xF maybe headed in the direction of a CMS, eventually, I was just wondering if phpBB was going that way as well?`
Mike and Kier have already stated on XF.com that they have no plans to create a CMS. People keep asking about it their and Brogan confirms same thing to them. So wouldn't hold your breath in hope of seeing a CMS arrive any time soon for XenForo. Very unlikely to happen for at least the next few years.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I feel phpbb should just continue doing what it does best and perhaps in the future should consider more integration with a bigger cms platform like Joomla. Joomla already uses phpbb for their support forum. In the recent past I've noticed that kuneka is slowly starting to take over and it could be a threat to phpbb in joomla community.