No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Re: No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Mess wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
Mess wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:So, are the group-wide settings ready for testing yet? ;)
Did you send a pull request?
If not, it will be ready for testing as soon as someone find it important/interesting enough to write the code. :)
I'm not a programmer, I'm an admin, I don't know what a pull request is nor how to send one. I thought writing the RFC was enough...
If you are an admin and have feature requests/ideas you can vote/create them here: phpBB Ideas.
If you are a developer you write an RFC, if the RFC is accepted you write the code and make a pull request. The code is then checked and if ok, merged into the development branch.
Unfortunately opensource developers have the luxury to write what they want. ;)

On a side note, I think it is time to start locking RFC's made by non developers or staff, and direct admins/users to phpBB ideas instead. :)
If I wanted to post in the ideas section I would have, there is no rule that this forum is for developers only. It's open to everyone. Good thing it's not up to you... ;)

I think it's time developers started taking the opinions of admins more seriously and this is the forum for ANYBODY to comment on/make a RFC. :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We do take everyone's opinion seriously, however we do not have the luxury of time to do everything that we or others might want.

Master_Cylinder

EXreaction wrote:We do take everyone's opinion seriously, however we do not have the luxury of time to do everything that we or others might want.
I wasn't suggesting that my ideas should automatically be accepted or take priority, just to be clear. ;)
These kids today...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Our focus right now is getting 3.1 out as soon as possible, so we're trying to fix the remaining major issues that need to be resolved before it can be released. New features are going to be pushed more to 3.2.

Master_Cylinder

I have no problem with that either... ;)
These kids today...

Barrnet

Re: [RFC] No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Post by Barrnet »

nachtelb wrote:Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links" - for Details have a look on my screenshot
+1 for this as permission

Since the integration of Q&A and my solution to fill in questions completeley wrong written and only be readable for native speakers i dont have bot-problems any more. BUT i have problems with payed humans giving me 6+ posts (often irritating and nonsence) before placing a post with link. They register and post in a timeslot of 2 - 4 weeks.
can-post-links.jpg
+1

Master_Cylinder

Re: [RFC] No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Barrnet wrote:
nachtelb wrote:Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links" - for Details have a look on my screenshot
+1 for this as permission

Since the integration of Q&A and my solution to fill in questions completeley wrong written and only be readable for native speakers i dont have bot-problems any more. BUT i have problems with payed humans giving me 6+ posts (often irritating and nonsence) before placing a post with link. They register and post in a timeslot of 2 - 4 weeks.
can-post-links.jpg
+1
Captcha doesn't work on humans or even some bots. This RFC is about stopping groups/users from posting links until they have enough posts not until they can read a captcha.
These kids today...

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

I understood, that you dont like it to be a permission. I dont understand why you dont like it - but its not a problem for me. But your last comment to this - with talking about captchas does not make sence to me as a answer to my posting because "stopping groups/users from posting links until they have enough posts" is all i want, too.

Master_Cylinder

The quote above never mentioned a number of posts, it only mentioned captcha and a "can post links" permission. Maybe it's just language confusion.

This doesn't have to be over complicated, the permission isn't needed with the user/group-wide settings I suggested and the permission, alone, doesn't allow for a definable number of posts so we can skip it and autogroups. ;)
These kids today...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:This doesn't have to be over complicated, the permission isn't needed with the user/group-wide settings I suggested and the permission, alone, doesn't allow for a definable number of posts so we can skip it and autogroups. ;)
You really want to go there again? OK -- no, AutoGroups and permissions aren't necessary if you just want this one little feature. They become extremely useful if you want more similar features.

I tend to prefer expandable solutions to limited ones; you seem to prefer very limited solutions (which, to be fair, might be lighter weight and possibly quicker to implement). Neither approach is necessarily wrong, but mine will scale better if admins want to limit other things based on post count.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.