Better Edit/Delete Control

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Better Edit/Delete Control

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Currently we have permissions so members can/can't edit/delete their own posts, per user/group, and a global option to set time limits for edit and delete.

I'm requesting integrating features from the following MODs into the core:
Editing Limiter
"If a user edits more than X (default 10) posts in Y (default 24) hours, editing is not permitted for the next Z (default 24) hours. It is also reported with a new topic or a topic reply in moderators forums."

Since this is a global setting, I'd suggest extending this to per group or the ability to exempt groups/users. I'd also extend this to self-deleted posts.

Override edit time limit and forum and user limits(I sure wish magic urls would do all this for me. ;) )
"Adds a new user and a forum permission to override the post edit time limit, also gives the ability of editing time limit settings per forum or user."

I'd suggest extending this one to allow edit times per group instead of just user/forum. Another member in the MOD forum suggested adding "first post" edit permissions so members could, optionally, only be allowed to edit the first post, if edit time expired or was not allowed in general which is good when it's better to edit the first post than post a buried update. Also extended for self-delete times/permissions would be good.

These two mods work very well together, as is, but with a few tweaks they'd be even nicer and give admins better edit and delete control. I think this would be good to add to the core. ;)

Discuss... :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Master_Cylinder

Re: Better Edit/Delete Control

I'm glad everyone agrees! ;)
These kids today...

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

This are mods. Soo when 3.1.x is online you can ask someone to make that mods for the new system. Why you ask to add such a tings ? Another poit is that they are made for a old system and they are not updated, so that means noone use them :/ I don't see a point to add user limitation for editing ... I sometimes edit my posts 10 times per day because punctuation mark, new additon to the text and etc. So i give -1

Master_Cylinder

Darkness_demoN wrote:This are mods. Soo when 3.1.x is online you can ask someone to make that mods for the new system. Why you ask to add such a tings ? Another poit is that they are made for a old system and they are not updated, so that means noone use them :/ I don't see a point to add user limitation for editing ... I sometimes edit my posts 10 times per day because punctuation mark, new additon to the text and etc. So i give -1
This forum is to suggest changes to the core, not Extensions.

The point is, obviously, to give admins more flexibility than we have now. You might edit 10 time per day but some forums don't allow editing/deleting at all. Some want to allow editing for some and not for others and some forums want to have different editing times, per group or user. The current system is not flexible enough and with more flexibility YOU could still edit 10 times per day and other admins could have settings that they prefer.
These kids today...