[RFC] Auth Plugin Refactoring & User Integration

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Hardolaf
Google Summer of Code Student

Re: [RFC] Auth Plugin Refactoring & User Integration

Post by Hardolaf »

Adding additional services is trivial and I will, assuming people aren't opposed to it, add more.

As for Google, it is the single hardest to get working. But that's on their end not ours.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

We should probably stick to a core of 4-5 services and let the rest be added via extensions. We don't want to end up having 10 or 20 services since that would overwhelm the admin. IMO if we need to add another, we can add twitter and leave the rest up to the community.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

imkingdavid wrote: We don't want to end up having 10 or 20 services since that would overwhelm the admin. IMO if we need to add another, we can add twitter and leave the rest up to the community.
Why do you assume that an admin would be overwhelmed by choices? As an admin, I say; the more choices, the better. Why do you assume that more admins would rather have twit stuff than auth stuff? I've said it before but I don't want phpBB turned into a SM clone of twitter or FB, phpB doesn't need that. The core, imho, should have better anti-spam (like ABM) and security and less worry about twitter and FB stuff.

YMMV...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Mess

Post by Mess »

imkingdavid wrote:We should probably stick to a core of 4-5 services and let the rest be added via extensions. We don't want to end up having 10 or 20 services since that would overwhelm the admin. IMO if we need to add another, we can add twitter and leave the rest up to the community.
I agree. Also there is the matter of maintaining the services if they are in the core.

Hardolaf

Post by Hardolaf »

Mess wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:We should probably stick to a core of 4-5 services and let the rest be added via extensions. We don't want to end up having 10 or 20 services since that would overwhelm the admin. IMO if we need to add another, we can add twitter and leave the rest up to the community.
I agree. Also there is the matter of maintaining the services if they are in the core.
The interface to each service is defined via an external library, so that is not too much of an issue.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Hardolaf wrote:
Mess wrote:
The interface to each service is defined via an external library, so that is not too much of an issue.
Thanks for clarifying.

Clem01

Post by Clem01 »

Hello,

I tested version 3.1 with Auth (Facebook). The connecting with Facebook Works well but the most important (for me) does not seem to be implemented...
I think there should be a button "Register with Facebook"
Example : https://www.forumatic.com/account/register

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Please add Twitter :)

standalonus

Post by standalonus »

Is this one the same thing under ACP GENERAL Authentication Oauth in phpBB 3.1.0-b3?

after install phpBB 3.1.0-b3 on a test site,set up facebook key/secret and goole key/secret for Oauth,change authentication method to Oauth.
I see two buttons "facebook" and "google" on UCP login page,but I am not able to find these two buttons on Registration page.
I follow the regular register process and register successfully,after that I can tie a facebook or google login to this normal account.then I can login with facebook or google account.
seem that if I don't have a normal account first,then I am not able to register/login with facebook/google,Is it designed this way?
Is it possible that if facebook/google login don't tie to any normal phpBB account, we create a phpBB account and tie it to facebook/google automatically?

sorry for asking so much under this thread,seems this is the only result I search Oauth on the forum.

Hardolaf

Post by Hardolaf »

@standalonous
I never finished the registration page for it. However, you can create a new account by attempting to login with facebook or google or another provider. It'll take you to a screen where you enter your phpBB account details. Also, at this time I believe it does require you to set a password, but it's been 7 months since I looked at the code so I'm not completely certain.

If I get time, I will definitely try to finish it up if someone else doesn't. However, I'm currently in the process of moving into a new place, starting work in my summer job, and taking care of some family issues so I'll make no promises as to whether or not I'll have time.