PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
JoshyPHP

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by JoshyPHP »

imkingdavid wrote:this is in limbo until the BBCode parser is redone/replaced (see: s9e/TextFormatter)
Why do you want to tie one to the other, though? From what I understand, the rich text editor converts its custom HTML back to plain text/BBCodes; It should be independent of the backend, right?

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Many as in? I've never heard anyone complain about the composing process and/or request a wysiwyg editor in any forum I'm involved with...
Whether the demand warrants the resources is not up to me...
Same. I've used forums since I can remember, and funnily enough the only times I've ever had a problem composing a post has been when an editor such as these are used. I find them massively annoying. I always seem to have issues with the alignment of images, and somehow end up with incorrectly formatted html. IMO users should never have the chance of making a mess of the sites HTML.
imkingdavid wrote:It's popular enough to warrant, at the very least, a 21 page topic here on area51.
21 pages where literally nobody has needed/required any of options that come with these types of editor. We're all just typing away happily, without issue. Can you tell I'm not a fan? :lol: The day that this type of editor is compulsory is the day I stop updating :cry: If the majority team demand it then fair enough of course.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I hope it's optional, I don't want it on my forums...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Any implementation will allow you to turn it on/off (by default as well as when on the posting screen).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Master_Cylinder

Me as an admin (for everybody) or "me" as a poster? ;)
These kids today...

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

@Master_Cylinder - everyone. There will likely be a default ACP setting, as well as one in the UCP and one on the posting screen.

@JoshyPHP - It was my understanding that the primary reason this feature is being held back is because of the difficulty implementing custom BBCodes with the rich editor, and that your new parser would make it less of an issue. I may be completely wrong, so sorry if that's the case. :)

Master_Cylinder

Will the ACP setting *disable it* completely or just set a default? I don't want this "fluff" on my forums at all...
These kids today...

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Well, I'm not sure exactly what how it's going to behave.

Ideally, the way I see it, we make it extensible so multiple rich editor plugins can be added/removed as desired. While most boards will likely want to only have one or none, it is a good idea to allow a variety. In that case, you would be able to remove all rich editors and that would disable the option completely.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

imkingdavid wrote:@JoshyPHP - It was my understanding that the primary reason this feature is being held back is because of the difficulty implementing custom BBCodes with the rich editor, and that your new parser would make it less of an issue. I may be completely wrong, so sorry if that's the case. :)
Hey, no harm. :) What I'm afraid of is that the old "Updated BBcode engine" RFC has been around for so long that I think that some of you phpBB devs have internalized some assumptions that are now being transferred to my "Integrate s9e\TextFormatter" RFC. And some of those cannot be tracked anymore. They might have originated from a discussion on IRC, comments in a ticket, a mention in a thread that was never really formalized etc... and I'm probably not aware of them.

So in the spirit of collaboration and good communication I wanted to clear up that I am not aware of any direct relation between this RFC and mine, or this RFC and the "Updated BBCode engine" one for that matter. If there's anything I should know, you can post it in this RFC or mine. I'm subscribed to both.

As an aside, in my opinion the best way to move forward with a RTE is to forget about rendering custom BBCodes in it and aim for the sweet spot in terms of cost/benefit. It's better to push out a simple working RTE right now than hold out for an exhaustive solution. XenForo doesn't even try to render their own quotes in their RTE, and I haven't read any complaints. And I don't know of any forum software that supports custom BBCodes in their RTE either. Usually they just keep them in text form, like XenForo with quotes.

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

JoshyPHP wrote:As an aside, in my opinion the best way to move forward with a RTE is to forget about rendering custom BBCodes in it and aim for the sweet spot in terms of cost/benefit. It's better to push out a simple working RTE right now than hold out for an exhaustive solution. XenForo doesn't even try to render their own quotes in their RTE, and I haven't read any complaints. And I don't know of any forum software that supports custom BBCodes in their RTE either. Usually they just keep them in text form, like XenForo with quotes.
Agreed. Having releases more often makes it so you can build upon features over time instead of having to make it feature complete from the beginning.
Eric