Requesting events

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
..::Frans::..

Requesting events

Post by ..::Frans::.. »

I am converting my mods to the new extension system. After everything is working necely i want to request the nessecary event changes to the code. It seems that my biggest problem now is....well, simply to decide where to put events that i am needing.

For example, i need an event inside acp_user right after the ranks. I can request the event happening there....BUT i can also look at the larger picture and request the event at the end of the switch($action) where everyone is/can benefit the event...

What is the wisest move to make??

EXreaction

Re: Requesting events

Post by EXreaction »

The more useful an event will be the better. We don't have a specific policy on it, but we definitely don't want a million events all over the place as each event does add some delay to the system (it's insignificant individually, but combined it can be significant).

I think we should only be adding events in specific places for specific uses as a last resort if there is no way to achieve a reasonable task otherwise.

..::Frans::..

Post by ..::Frans::.. »

Thank you for the quick reply, i will keep your advise in mind,

;-)

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

..::Frans::.. wrote:I am converting my mods to the new extension system. After everything is working necely i want to request the nessecary event changes to the code. It seems that my biggest problem now is....well, simply to decide where to put events that i am needing.

For example, i need an event inside acp_user right after the ranks. I can request the event happening there....BUT i can also look at the larger picture and request the event at the end of the switch($action) where everyone is/can benefit the event...

What is the wisest move to make??
Think bigger picture. I recently had a MOD that needed 10 locations within the acp_bbcodes.php file. I spent a whole day on it, but I was able to narrow it down only 4 events.
Has an irascible disposition.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Often times, you don't necessarily need an event in a certain place to do what you want, so try to see if already existent events can be utilized. If none exists, request one. It would be better to cater to the whole extension author community, rather than add a bunch of events that will only be used by one specific use case, so we may suggest other events instead, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.