porting 3.0 mods to 3.1 extensions...

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DarkBeing

Re: porting 3.0 mods to 3.1 extensions...

Post by DarkBeing »

VSE+ wrote:Just to add, NOW is the time for MOD authors to start looking into porting their MODs over to extensions, so they can figure out if they will need to request new events be added to phpBB, so that they can be added now, before 3.1 is released, and while it is still in its developmental alpha/beta stages.
I have to agree with what VSE+ said. I think this should be brought to the attention of the MOD-/Future-Extension-Authors over on the phpBB-page at this stage now. Otherwise there might be a whole lot of future angry Extension-Writers. Because their extension was denied as there is no event for it. Which could be avoided if they know that they have to request missing ones.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I think currently there is still too much change (with responsive design being added and more).
We can do that at the beta phase aswell.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

aleha wrote:Is there an event for when warning a user?
Pico88 wrote:At the moment there is no such event.
Well there goes my warning reasons mod then.
Because their extension was denied as there is no event for it.
Which then means that the mod author didn't test their mod.

I find it odd that devs are requesting (requiring) mod authors to submit requests for events if that event doesn't already exist. So as a mod author I spend considerable time in porting my mods (all 40+ of them) to 3.1 then test and request events for those that don't have events already? I though events were supposed to be easier for mod authors, not to increase their work load. Granted it is damn near impossible for the dev team to know every single instance of where an event would be needed.

Just seems that instead of becoming automagic the event thingy is still a bit manual (request event, wait for release adding said event, etc)...isn't there a better/more automatic way of getting this to work? I have no idea how wordpress does it's magic nor any other software that uses events (myBB does this I believe).

And then there is the issue of mod authors learning twig too. This is seeming to become, at least to me, more like a job than a hobby.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

And it looks like that I may not be able to port the bridge over even if the hooks are there

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Well there goes my warning reasons mod then.
Just post where you need it and we can add it.
RMcGirr83 wrote:I though events were supposed to be easier for mod authors...
In first place it should get easier for admins not mod writers. They just need to drop in files. Of course it costs some time to get all events in place. But afterwards you don't need to update your extension all the time just because a search-line was changed.
RMcGirr83 wrote:And then there is the issue of mod authors learning twig too.
You do not get in touch with twig as an ext developer....
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Well where does twig come in?

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

RMcGirr83 wrote:I though events were supposed to be easier for mod authors, not to increase their work load.
Mods are very easy for Mod authors and very difficult for users.
Extensions are very easy for users and therefore...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Extensions will make it easier, we just have to add a better and more expansive set of events still. There already are quite a few, but certainly there will be more than a few that we'll want to add yet. Having to request events should be relatively rare after 3.1.0 is released.

Nothing changes with Twig, the template code is exactly as it was before in phpBB. The only difference is the code is transformed in the backend to Twig (which is a much better templating engine than what we had for many reasons). You can use Twig syntax if you'd like as it (should) be fully supported and is much more powerful, but it is entirely optional.