No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Re: [RFC] No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Post by Master_Cylinder »

nachtelb wrote:Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links" - for Details have a look on my screenshot
+1 for this as permission

Since the integration of Q&A and my solution to fill in questions completeley wrong written and only be readable for native speakers i dont have bot-problems any more. BUT i have problems with payed humans giving me 6+ posts (often irritating and nonsence) before placing a post with link. They register and post in a timeslot of 2 - 4 weeks.
Yes, the second MOD that I mentioned *does* provide that "can post links" option which I apply to the NRU group as "never" and the admin/moderator groups as "yes" but I want the registered users to not be able to post links for a different number of posts. Right now I have to use an intermediate group and that's a PITA when all it would take is a "Can post links after X posts" option per user/group. That would mean 2-3 less MODS needed...
group-settings.jpg
(81.3 KiB) Downloaded 1766 times
Just add can post links after X posts here and let the admin choose how many. 0 = never 1 = first post and blank = always.
*Daniel wrote:Well who stupid enough to approve those nonsense posts?
If the post is not spam, "good job" posts or posts using poor English are just as valid as +1....or -10 in your case.

nachtelb wrote:insult =! argument
+1 ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nachtelb wrote:Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links"
Which is exactly what I proposed over two years ago. (See item #6.) It's crazy that phpBB 3.0 doesn't have that capability, much less phpBB 3.1.
Master_Cylinder wrote:Again, why do you insist that 1 insufficient method is enough?
Another anti-spam method proposed was for content analysis plug-ins. There are also some techniques proposed in the Anti-spam features RFC. So nobody is trying to say that only one anti-spam measure is sufficient. Did you do a search for "spam" here before saying that?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Pony99CA wrote:
nachtelb wrote:Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links"
Which is exactly what I proposed over two years ago. (See item #6.) It's crazy that phpBB 3.0 doesn't have that capability, much less phpBB 3.1.
Master_Cylinder wrote:Again, why do you insist that 1 insufficient method is enough?
Another anti-spam method proposed was for content analysis plug-ins. There are also some techniques proposed in the Anti-spam features RFC. So nobody is trying to say that only one anti-spam measure is sufficient. Did you do a search for "spam" here before saying that?

Steve
He said that because I down voted him as you would be better off stopping then (bots) from joining and you also got NRU as well

Master_Cylinder

Re: No Link For You! (anti-spam)

It's not just bots...that's part of the problem. More anti-spam is better.
These kids today...

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Yes then you start having issues with legitimate users who are trying to join and they cant because it too hard is the system to too strict.

Master_Cylinder

*Daniel wrote:Yes then you start having issues with legitimate users who are trying to join and they cant because it too hard is the system to too strict.
Any member that's not willing to put up with the inability to post links for X posts, on my boards, to cut down on spam, can find another forum, imho...

You could have *your* settings as liberal as you'd like. Why deny me mine?
These kids today...

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Master_Cylinder wrote:There's another mod called Authorized for URLs that actually stops the user/group from submitting the post
I am currently using that mod too on my site and that really works. Now I very rarely get users joining just to add links. Bots can't do it at all, and only very very few number of human spammers are patient enough to reach the minimum post before they add links. Because of this mod, I don't moderate posts for NRU. My board is fairly busy and I don't have time to moderate posts. I do agree that having a user permission for 'add no links' option will be helpful and useful. So +1 for that.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

As long as the feature is controlled by the Admin of the board, it seems reasonable to have some sort of permission-based link mechanism. Each admin should be able to control their board as they see fit, so choice is generally a good thing.

However, I don't want specific numbers of posts to control various features. Adding something like automatic groups would be far better. That would allow setting different post criteria for sets of features controlled by what group you're in.

So yes to having a Can post links permission, but no to having a specific post limit for just that feature, and yes to having automatic group promotion based on post count (and possibly other criteria, like how long you've been a member).

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Master_Cylinder

Once again, you could simple allow always or deny always (per group) if you didn't want a # of posts but the choice to include it as an option means it helps more people that just you, it would help me too...
These kids today...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Once again, you could simple allow always or deny always (per group) if you didn't want a # of posts but the choice to include it as an option means it helps more people that just you, it would help me too...
Once again, Auto Groups does that and more by allowing specified criteria (including post count) to control when somebody is added to a group. That's a much more elegant and flexible solution than a post count for URLs.

If Auto Groups is too much to ask for, you can combine the Newly Registered Users group and the (yet to be implemented) Can post links permission (which needs to be implemented regardless) to get a post count for URLs.

The only advantage that a post count for URLs has over Auto Groups is that it would probably be simpler for admins to find. However, without Auto Groups, it would be a one-size-fits-all approach, so even Admins and Moderators might get limited by it (unless extra code was added to ignore the limit for them).

Steve