[RFC] Bigger topic title lenght limit

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] Bigger topic title lenght limit

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

imkingdavid wrote:For whomever is going to do this, some additional info: The "topic_title" column in the phpbb_topics table is a VARCHAR(255). So the limit is in the software, meaning that you'll need to look, likely, in posting.php or functions_posting.php to find where it is limiting the length.

Also, the post_title length should be updated accordingly.
Yes, but the topic title is stored after being run through htmlspecialchars(). The length of " is obviously much longer than the actual character it represents. However, keeping varchar as the datatype is preferable to growing to text.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Martian

Post by Martian »

MichaelC wrote:I don't think we need an ACP setting for this but thanks for both links.

Do we want to go to 120/124 or 100/104 or 200/204 (second number is for if its a reply it needs to have topic title length plus 4 characters. Having them the same would chop of a 100 char topic title by 4 chars in all replies. - Re: (Space) TOPICSUBJECT.

I'll put up a PR tonight with 120 for now.
I just noticed that this board is now allowing 120/124. I like that!

Just a note though:

The latest versions of phpBB 3.0.x are allowing 60/64. But if you post a reply with a subject title of 61 to 64 characters, it gets truncated to 60 characters.

I tested it here and the same is happening: the last 4 characters of a subject line of a reply get truncated. So essentially the board isn't allowing 120/124, but 120/120.

Is this the intended behaviour?

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

I'm fairly sure that's due to this being added "Re: " that's R + e + : + blankspace== 4 character spaces
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I thought that the 64-character limit was to keep the title basically on one line (either preventing wrapping or frame busting). If there's really no good reason for that limit, why not just make it 251/255? Let's allow the full database width.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Martian

Post by Martian »

bonelifer wrote:I'm fairly sure that's due to this being added "Re: " that's R + e + : + blankspace== 4 character spaces
Yes, but my point is that currently there is no extra 4 characters room made for "Re: " in the subject line of replies.

What is happening now is that when a topic is started that uses the maximum number of characters (or 1, 2 or 3 less), the subject line gets truncated when someone replies. As I said, there is no extra room made for "Re: " in replies.

An example can be seen here: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2209371

The topic title is: Too long post_checksum 1 550 000 chars - unable to import DB
Replies get title: Re: Too long post_checksum 1 550 000 chars - unable to impor

Both subject lines are 60 characters, and from the reply subject line the last 4 characters have been truncated, which is ugly and affects searching the board. Therefore I have been limiting myself to 60 character topic titles for some time now to avoid that.

IMO there should be an extra 4 characters room for subject lines of replies.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

This was merged a while back so I'm putting it in the Merged RFCs forum.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.