phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Alien_Time

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by Alien_Time »

Thanks for that clarification. I noticed that for some of the rfc's, the code can be added since one of the poster may have already shown samples of their work. (for example, kamahl's idea in viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44827). But how do we know if it's approved or not? Do we wait until a developer approves that in that topic? For instance with Arty's responsive layout, it's great he has taken that job, but how is the updates merged? I can imagine the developers are swamped with a lot of things right now since there are still a lot to do after the alpha release, but does it mean new rfc's won't be merged even if they are minor tweaks were codes can be shared? Or is there possibilities for these rfc's to be approved and merged even in the beta stage once the developers gets time to review these? Or does it have to wait till 3.2?

Mess

Post by Mess »

All issues are handled in the tracker (currently 389 for the next version):
http://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?jql=pr ... key%20DESC
From my understanding "Patch Awaiting Review" means the issue is ready to be merged if the code is accepted.

I doubt Kamahl has made a pull request for his work in your example.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Thanks for the link. Wow.. That's a long list there. Sorry, I am new to all this. So I guess for RFC to be merged, we need to create a pull request. I thought creating a topic was sufficient enough and then the rest is done only after someone approves it. I think I slowly get the idea now. :)

Mess

Post by Mess »

Everything unresolved when the next window closes, will get moved to the next version (3.1.0-a3). Which means the link dies.
Currently we have 39 fixed or closed issues for this version. :)

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

No, I have not made PR and I am probably not going to push any code. I created that dropdown really quickly, code is very bad and I dont have time to do it properly.

aleha

Post by aleha »

I have a question regarding extensions.

For core events there are the appropriate marks in the core code. But then, the addition of non-core events from extensions how is it handled?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

just follow the system of the core code ;)
Add the event + docs to your extension and others can use them ;)
See https://wiki.phpbb.com/Add_Events for more information
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

aleha

Post by aleha »

My bad because I wasn't specific in my first question so I'll use an example.

Let's assume that the event overall_footer_after wasn't in the core and I wanted exactly that event in my extension.
Could I create such an event in my extension without editing the core files?

It's like asking if events that have to do with phpBB core functionality have to be in the phpBB core files purely for technical reasons.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Extensions cannot modify core files, by definition. If you need an event in a specific location in core code the only way to add it is via a pull request to the repository.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

aleha

Post by aleha »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Today I was actually looking at your prefixed extension where you define a custom event. Learning through examples is always fun in its own way.