Better Magic URLs

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Better Magic URLs

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Better Magic URLs

I was on another board (it might have been vB) and the way magic URLS worked there was...better.

1) Linking a forum post URL wouldn't display the link, it would display the topic's subject.
2) Linking an outside URL wouldn't display the URL, but it would show the title of the web page instead.

I don't know if there's a MOD that does that for phpBB but it seems to make more sense than the way it works now (and it looked much better) so maybe that would be something to consider.

Discuss...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Danielx64

Re: [RFC] Better Magic URLs

Post by Danielx64 »

There was a mod that did that, there one issue though - What if someone posted a link that someone in a different group can't access? Ok user get message that he can't see the topic but hey you just given away the topic title.

Master_Cylinder

*Daniel wrote:There was a mod that did that, there one issue though - What if someone posted a link that someone in a different group can't access? Ok user get message that he can't see the topic but hey you just given away the topic title.
I didn't think about that (good catch) but I'm not sure the topic title would give much away. In the other forum that I saw it working they had hidden/VIP type member forums too but nobody seemed to care. Perhaps there would be a way to code it so it only converts internal links to subject if the forum isn't hidden to some users? That sounds much more complicated so maybe just an ACP "option" to have magic URLs convert to topic/title? I'd risk topic name exposure for better looking display of links but that might just be me.

Or even better, separate options for internal and external links?
These kids today...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Well..."pretty" URLs that have been proposed would sort of give away the topic title anyways and nobody really had a problem with it. In fact many users are almost begging for that to be part of the core.

This definitely sounds like an interesting idea though.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Another feature (that I'm not sure that I like) was on a vBulletin system that I helped administer. if you posted a YouTube link, the video automatically got embedded in the page.

As for magic URLs displaying the topic title, if the titles were resolved at page display time, you could handle topics in a forum that the user couldn't access by displaying a "Title Not Shown Due To Insufficient Permissions" message instead of the real title. (You could also change the link to just that text so that the user couldn't even click it.)

Of course, if more people did what I do and stopped posting "naked" URLs, using the more friendly text option and pasting the topic or post title in, people would still see the "hidden" titles anyway. At least this proposal would keep those ugly naked URLs from displaying.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Pony99CA wrote:Another feature (that I'm not sure that I like) was on a vBulletin system that I helped administer. if you posted a YouTube link, the video automatically got embedded in the page.
+1
Having videos/images embedded automatically, and shown naked url when using [url] would be very nice addition to the core. Would mean a few less custom modifications for me on the forums I install.
Pony99CA wrote:As for magic URLs displaying the topic title, if the titles were resolved at page display time, you could handle topics in a forum that the user couldn't access by displaying a "Title Not Shown Due To Insufficient Permissions" message instead of the real title. (You could also change the link to just that text so that the user couldn't even click it.)
+1

Un1matr1x

Post by Un1matr1x »

DavidIQ wrote:Well..."pretty" URLs that have been proposed would sort of give away the topic title anyways and nobody really had a problem with it. In fact many users are almost begging for that to be part of the core.

This definitely sounds like an interesting idea though.
+1 and just add the Option to not change the "nacked link" into names, like "Do not automatically parse URLs"

Mess wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Another feature (that I'm not sure that I like) was on a vBulletin system that I helped administer. if you posted a YouTube link, the video automatically got embedded in the page.
+1
Having videos/images embedded automatically, and shown naked url when using [url] would be very nice addition to the core. Would mean a few less custom modifications for me on the forums I install.
-1, or at least with an option and default off
In some countries it's a copyright infringement to embedded foreign content, especially images. I know cases where lawyers hunting for food-images and then sue you (as side owner) for copyright theft. I know it's also possible now via [img]-tag, but so the change is even higher to do it unintentionally

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Un1matr1x wrote:
Mess wrote:
+1
-1, or at least with an option and default off
In some countries it's a copyright infringement to embedded foreign content, especially images. I know cases where lawyers hunting for food-images and then sue you (as side owner) for copyright theft. I know it's also possible now via [img]-tag, but so the change is even higher to do it unintentionally
This is a very Facebook-like feature that happens on their site whenever you paste a site link (site "thumbnail" gets generated) or video link into your post (I believe Twitter does something similar as well). I don't like it either and it doesn't seem to work consistently. Depending on what device you're posting from it may also fail even harder.

Master_Cylinder

I definitely think it should be optional for cases where an admin wouldn't want it but...
[RFC] Better Magic URLs
certainly looks better than:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44891

I don't need/want website thumbnails embedded and the youtube BBcode thing isn't really what I had in mind here but that could be optional too.
These kids today...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Displaying the topic title for internal links would be a major improvement