Link topic to first unread post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Arty
Former Team Member

Link topic to first unread post

Post by Arty »

When viewing forum icon to redirect to newest unread post is hard to click: Image

Its not a problem when using mouse, but it is a big problem when using touch screen devices. Chances of user hitting that icon are next to none because it is located right near topic link.

To solve it I suggest to change topic link for unread topics to link to first unread post when user is logged in and there are unread posts in thread. Also change its color to indicate that it links to unread post.

To make it possible to go to first post, turn first post time below topic title into a link to first post.

leschek

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by leschek »

Wouldn't help to make the icon bigger?

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Arty wrote:To solve it I suggest to change topic link for unread topics to link to first unread post when user is logged in and there are unread posts in thread. Also change its color to indicate that it links to unread post.
¿And get rid of the icon? I'm all for it.

Boardtalk

Post by Boardtalk »

+1
How about making the entire area in 'last post' clickable. It can be annoying when directed to a users profile instead of the last post.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Bigger icon: maybe, but it has to be very big. Then it would cause topic title to move to right side and probably wrap to another line.

Area of last post clickable: that area is not shown on mobile devices.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 for initial idea...

In reference to making icon bigger. Maybe a little bigger.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I wouldn't be against getting rid of the icon. Even some on our own staff didn't know this icon existed... :roll:
As it looks now it seems related to the username anyways and not the topic.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

What if you eliminated that icon and made clicking an Unread Posts icon take you to the first unread post? Those icons are bigger.

Clicking No Unread Posts icons could take you to the last post in the topic, allowing you to eliminate that other tiny icon by the name of the last user to post.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Do you mean the icon left from topic title? I dont know if it is such a good idea, because forum icons are not clickable. People wont know they can click on topic icon but not on forum icon. It should be unified somehow, this sounds like half-way solution.