[RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE+ wrote:Username ∨
- Overview
- Board preferences
- Private messages
- Usergroups
- Friends & Foes
--------------------
- Logout

This would encompass all the main "tabs" shown in the UCP
The problem with making the user name a menu is that it's now inconsistent with clicking user names elsewhere in phpBB, where you get taken to the user's profile. I would rather see the User Control Panel link display that menu if you hovered over it (clicking it would go to the UCP as it does today).

If we have to rename the text, "Manage Account" seems best. PMs are, in some sense, part of your account, as are the other items there. I do not think that "User Control Panel" is "outdated", though; Windows still uses the term "Control Panel" (at least through Windows 7; I don't know about Windows 8), so many users will be able to figure out what a "control panel" is.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Pony99CA wrote:
VSE+ wrote:Username ∨
- Overview
- Board preferences
- Private messages
- Usergroups
- Friends & Foes
--------------------
- Logout

This would encompass all the main "tabs" shown in the UCP
The problem with making the user name a menu is that it's now inconsistent with clicking user names elsewhere in phpBB, where you get taken to the user's profile. I would rather see the User Control Panel link display that menu if you hovered over it (clicking it would go to the UCP as it does today).

If we have to rename the text, "Manage Account" seems best. PMs are, in some sense, part of your account, as are the other items there. I do not think that "User Control Panel" is "outdated", though; Windows still uses the term "Control Panel" (at least through Windows 7; I don't know about Windows 8), so many users will be able to figure out what a "control panel" is.

Steve

Well worse case would be that if one has javascript turned off that person can still click on the username that will take then to the UCP. Or that poor designs? Also how is the header bar done on phpbb.com? That javascript or just css?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

*Daniel wrote:Well worse case would be that if one has javascript turned off that person can still click on the username that will take then to the UCP. Or that poor designs? Also how is the header bar done on phpbb.com? That javascript or just css?
If javascript is disabled the current behavior should remain when the username is clicked (logout).
Pony99CA wrote:The problem with making the user name a menu is that it's now inconsistent with clicking user names elsewhere in phpBB, where you get taken to the user's profile. I would rather see the User Control Panel link display that menu if you hovered over it (clicking it would go to the UCP as it does today).
We could alter the get_username_string function to create a dropdown menu whenever it generates a full username link. On the postbit it could show a menu with links to "view profile", "send pm", etc. and in the navbar, where it shows the current username, it could show the UCP and logout options. Just a thought.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

imkingdavid wrote:
*Daniel wrote:Well worse case would be that if one has javascript turned off that person can still click on the username that will take then to the UCP. Or that poor designs? Also how is the header bar done on phpbb.com? That javascript or just css?
If javascript is disabled the current behavior should remain when the username is clicked (logout).
Pony99CA wrote:The problem with making the user name a menu is that it's now inconsistent with clicking user names elsewhere in phpBB, where you get taken to the user's profile. I would rather see the User Control Panel link display that menu if you hovered over it (clicking it would go to the UCP as it does today).
We could alter the get_username_string function to create a dropdown menu whenever it generates a full username link. On the postbit it could show a menu with links to "view profile", "send pm", etc. and in the navbar, where it shows the current username, it could show the UCP and logout options. Just a thought.
Ok but for one we can still make it work without javascript, example on phpbb.com, put your mouse over the "customise" - that done by css right?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

The hover is a bad idea for interaction.
Most touch screens have no way of properly activate the hover action and it is not straight forward about when it should be activated.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I think I like the idea that was proposed of replacing "Logout [Username]" with just "Username" (with maybe a down arrow or somethign) and a menu, which can contain "Profile", "Account", "Private Messages", and other items as appropriate. We do need to keep in mind that a non-javascript fallback is required.
+1

I dont understand one thing. There is a link in navbar to show PMs and also to displa all NTFs. Why are there tabs in UCP for that too? I think it is a little bit confusing for new users. I would remove tabs PMs and NTFs from UCP. Those 2 CP would internally still be a part of UCP, but users would see them as separate parts, because logically User control panel should not contain PMs and NTFs.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

My vote is for "Manage Account".

The text incorporates all of the sections that are currently in the UCP. In addition, it's clear and explicit as to what the link is for. Whether the end-user is a beginner or pro, he/she will know what the link is for and/or to go there to access the various options that one would expect to be in a section like the UCP.

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

Kamahl19 wrote:
I think I like the idea that was proposed of replacing "Logout [Username]" with just "Username" (with maybe a down arrow or somethign) and a menu, which can contain "Profile", "Account", "Private Messages", and other items as appropriate. We do need to keep in mind that a non-javascript fallback is required.
+1

I dont understand one thing. There is a link in navbar to show PMs and also to displa all NTFs. Why are there tabs in UCP for that too? I think it is a little bit confusing for new users. I would remove tabs PMs and NTFs from UCP. Those 2 CP would internally still be a part of UCP, but users would see them as separate parts, because logically User control panel should not contain PMs and NTFs.
I'm also for remove PMs from UCP. It can look like
pms_mockup.png
(17.72 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
I'm not sure about removing NTFs from tabs in UCP - I will leave NTFs settings and add link to own NTFs page.

But come back to the topic, I'm for "Profile" or "Account". The shorter it is, the better it is ;)

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Personally, I don't have a problem calling it the UCP, it's pretty self-descriptive in English at least.
I don't care if it gets renamed either but this is one that wouldn't be on my priority list.

YMMV... ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Mess

Post by Mess »

keith10456 wrote:My vote is for "Manage Account".

The text incorporates all of the sections that are currently in the UCP. In addition, it's clear and explicit as to what the link is for. Whether the end-user is a beginner or pro, he/she will know what the link is for and/or to go there to access the various options that one would expect to be in a section like the UCP.
+1