[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC|Merged] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

It's a board configuration option. By default, notifications older than 30 days are automatically deleted if they are read.

This is done for performance reasons; the more data that's in the table the slower the queries are going to be for everyone. We are going to want some sort of cleanup process being done for most boards I think, however we don't have benchmark data to tell us what the speed differences are going to be at what total number of notifications. If someone would like to try and do some benchmarks of query times at varying levels of the number of total notifications on the board that would help us make a better decision as to if we can make the default cleanup period longer (and then of course it is up to administrators to choose for their own boards).

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

EXreaction wrote:It's a board configuration option. By default, notifications older than 30 days are automatically deleted if they are read.

This is done for performance reasons; the more data that's in the table the slower the queries are going to be for everyone. We are going to want some sort of cleanup process being done for most boards I think, however we don't have benchmark data to tell us what the speed differences are going to be at what total number of notifications. If someone would like to try and do some benchmarks of query times at varying levels of the number of total notifications on the board that would help us make a better decision as to if we can make the default cleanup period longer (and then of course it is up to administrators to choose for their own boards).
I believe this is a good way of going about it...

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

how to replace text ( [0 Notifications] ) with image ?
no text
no text
facebook.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 9719 times
sorry for my bad english :oops:

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

This was my suggestion/mockup.. It should be easy to change it to this... Just need the opinions of the dev team members...
test.jpg
test.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 9681 times
Has an irascible disposition.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

That looks good to me

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

is not ok to made functions around prosilver theme, if i made a new theme but not the same navigation?
lets say cos i want to look like this my new style:

so put 3 variabile one for count ,one for text and one for image, becouse is not space to call all and i need space.

So is more technical problem when you will try to made a new style cos in prosilver has a lot of space.
sorry for my bad english :oops:

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

VSE+ wrote:This was my suggestion/mockup.. It should be easy to change it to this... Just need the opinions of the dev team members...
test.jpg
I like that a lot!

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

NORDLANDVOLK wrote:is not ok to made functions around prosilver theme, if i made a new theme but not the same navigation?
lets say cos i want to look like this my new style:
The design that you've proposed can be implemented in your own style with no difficulty as the unread count is available as a separate variable.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

VSE+ wrote:This was my suggestion/mockup.. It should be easy to change it to this... Just need the opinions of the dev team members...
test.jpg
+1 very good idea

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

VSE+ the icon looks nice.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.