Switch styles and language from any page

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Switch styles and language from any page

Post by Meis2M »

Hi

whats your idea about Switch styles and language from any page... ( some where in footer)

EXreaction

Re: Switch styles and language from any page

Post by EXreaction »

What would be the use case for that?

leschek

Post by leschek »

I would like to have language switch in header. It can be handy for multi language forums and guests who doesn't have access into UCP. So it would be +1 for me.
Styles - Registered users can change it in UCP and guests can live with default style. It would be nice to have it for testing, but I don't think users/admins change styles so often that it need switch.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hi.

There is two reason for that.

1- Guests
- guests can not access to UCP control panel to choose languages and styles. and it is difficult to register English users to a Persian board or any language other. when there will be a language chooser it will be very easy use my board without register and going to ucp and change language default.

- most of boards use many styles , register users can change the styles from UCP panel but guests can not do it and admin like guests use many styles too. may be in future a mobile style will be added to phpBB then with this tools users and guests can switch to this style very easy.

2- Easy access
in reason 1 i said guests have some problems.In addition a switch tools in footer or header make easy for users and guests to quick switch languages and styles. it is not necessary for users find UCP panel then go to Board preference and change them , with this tools users can change very very quickly.

for style switch if a style was Active the name of style show in quick switch for choice if otherwise not show in it.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Language switching makes sense for guests if there are sections of the board in their preferred language. However, how many English speaking users would register for a Persian board if all of the posts are in Persian?

Style switching doesn't make as much sense. First, while "many" boards may support multiple styles, what percentage do? Second, a mobile style would probably be automatically switched to if the user was browsing with a mobile device, so that argument doesn't really fly. Finally, consider the ability to switch styles a perk for registering. :)

The one place where style switching may make sense is to allow a high-contrast style for the visually impaired. Unforuntately, phpBB doesn't ship such a style by default.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Pony99CA wrote:Language switching makes sense for guests if there are sections of the board in their preferred language. However, how many **** speaking users would register for a **** board if all of the posts are in ****?
A lot. Easy language switching is extremely helpful. And of course there are countless examples of boards in language X with parts in language Y.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

But what percentage of boards have multiple languages that are being used? This sort of feature should be easily do-able in an extension, I'm not sure I see a reason yet to have this as a core feature.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

EXreaction wrote:But what percentage of boards have multiple languages that are being used? This sort of feature should be easily do-able in an extension, I'm not sure I see a reason yet to have this as a core feature.
I agree with you, an extension would be more than fine. I was just saying that there are a good number of boards written in more than one language, even if they are a small percentage of the total.