[RFC] Reload notification info via ajax onclick and update current page

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
naderman
Consultant

[RFC] Reload notification info via ajax onclick and update current page

Post by naderman »

If you work with multiple tabs, the notification workflow will often result in an incorrect number of notifications reported. That's simply a result of only setting the value and list of notifications on loading the page. Without a mechanism like long polling or websockets which are difficult to implement in a scalable manner that still works on shared hosts, we should try and make it a bit easier to check if there are actually any notifications left. So I think it would help if the notifications list was reloaded via ajax when one opens it and the number of notifications updated accordingly. Then one only needs to click on the reported notifications to find out if they are still valid.

dhruv.goel92

Re: [RFC] Reload notification info via ajax onclick and update current page

Post by dhruv.goel92 »

Although I would prefer doing it using long polling, updating it when one opens the notification list seems to be a reasonable solution which will work without much overheads.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I was thinking the best idea would be to send a request every X seconds to update the number, but I'm okay with having it reload when the list is open. Although that would potentially cause different numbers on multiple pages.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

what is a 'notification' ? I see it on the left corner next to the ucp link but i can't guess what it's for.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Either this, or just don't display the number of notifications in the title.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

sajaki wrote:what is a 'notification' ? I see it on the left corner next to the ucp link but i can't guess what it's for.

Think Facebook. Basically when something happens on the board (someone replies to a subscribed topic or quotes you in a post, among other things, you will get a notification. You can manage what things you get notified about in the UCP. Extensions can add a new notification type as well.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.