[RFC|Merged] Allow customisation of "Board index"

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
tbackoff

Re: [RFC] Dynamic index name

Post by tbackoff »

I only see "submit and download file"? :? (I don't have my copy of 3.1 in front of me, so it may be different if you're checking the ACP here).

Never-the-less, I still think it's a useful feature and plan on doing a pull request later this week. If it get's added, great. If it doesn't, oh well - it's not the end of the world and I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I was looking at the 3.1 ACP so must be a new feature. That description should probably be updated as it looks to still be the same as 3.0

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Ticket and pull request

EDIT: What does this mean and how do I fix it? I clicked details, but don't understand it.
Error — The Travis build could not complete due to an error (Details)
Last edited by tbackoff on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new pull request

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Huge +1

You surprised me t_backoff... I normally read posts from you against any changes to the core (just teasing you... nothing serious) :lol:

KnocksX

Re: [RFC|Merged] Allow customisation of "Board index"

Post by KnocksX »

It shouldn't be named "Board Index" to begin with. The name is nerdy and not user friendly. One of the first things I do in every new forum is rename it.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

What do you think this feature does and why I proposed it and created a pull request? :? Regardless, it's been merged and will be in the 3.1 release. Rename away!

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

t_backoff wrote:... it's been merged and will be in the 3.1 release. Rename away!
Glad to hear it :D

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

t_backoff wrote:What do you think this feature does and why I proposed it and created a pull request? :? Regardless, it's been merged and will be in the 3.1 release. Rename away!
Well, I thought the request was to "allow customization." I propose to do away with the "Board Index" name for good (but also allow customization).

Anyway, "Forum" as a default makes the most sense to me.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

KnocksX wrote:Anyway, "Forum" as a default makes the most sense to me.
It might to you but it is not an accurate description. A "Board" is a collection of forums so labeling it "Forum" or even "Forums" wouldn't really make sense since one usually sets up a phpBB installation with multiple forums. However with this change you can now rename it to whatever you want. ;-)

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

That's an incorrect definition. A "board" and a "forum" are the same thing, the only difference being that "board" sounds a lot more 1990s.