Force user to read PM from moderator/admin

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: Force user to read PM from moderator/admin

Post by Pony99CA »

McKristensen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
brunoais wrote:There's something equivalent in IP.B. Not about PM's but about warnings.
We could take a look about how they do it and maybe do the same about warnings in phpBB.
We could also take care about what the user is submitting while the condition persists.
For example, the user tries to submit the message, but he has a warning pendent, he would see the error message and a link in the error message that would open a new tab/window with the warning that the user received. After he acknowledges it, that "block" is lifted and the user may resubmit.

Anyway, doing this block for PM's is -1, from me and for warnings (as an option when creating the warn itself) is +1 from me.
Yes, addressing things with Warnings makes more sense. If it's not something that would normally get a warning, maybe we need a new "event" type (Actions?) for required things.
That I think sounds more like the right solution, but then it many should be a part of this RFC https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 78&t=34389
I don't think so. That deals with adding improvments to reported posts (generally users letting moderators know about problems), but this topic deals with moderators communicating with users (which is sort of the opposite). That communication may have been necessary because of a report, but not necessarily.

But it's your topic, and your initial post was not very detailed about the use cases you intended to handle, so I don't know what exactly you're trying to do and why.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I may support a non-intrusive UI for what is being proposed here.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:I may support a non-intrusive UI for what is being proposed here.
How can forcing someone to do something be non-intrusive?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

emosbat

Post by emosbat »

show him a threat message that will delete their account if do not read PM :mrgreen:
btw, I think that do not allow him to see other topics before reading admin message/ announce, for example redirect him to pm/announce page..

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

What if he's writing a post already, huh?

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Make it so every forum post, as this user sees them, is replaced by the text that the admin wants him to read.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Wouldn't that make it confusing to that user?

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

brunoais wrote:Wouldn't that make it confusing to that user?
Yes, but I was largely just being facetious. Of course it would force the user to read the admin or moderator's message. :lol:

VOLKERMORD

Post by VOLKERMORD »

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Pony99CA wrote:Yes, addressing things with Warnings makes more sense. If it's not something that would normally get a warning, maybe we need a new "event" type (Actions?) for required things.

Alternatively, how about a new "Must Read" flag on PMs that is permission-based. The default would be off, of course. That addresses the "casual conversation" issue raised above.

As for losing posts/PMs, open the PM in a new tab/window. ;)

But I'm not sure this is warranted in the core.

Steve
Both warnings and PM could use a "must read" flag but the trigger could be "on login" that way it avoids the "what if a user is composing" problem. It'd be like the "Announcement Redirect on Login" MOD. When the user logs in they're forced to handle the PM/warnings before they can move on to topics.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol: