Where Should Extensions ACP Panels Go?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Where Should Extensions ACP Panels Go?

Post by MattF »

In 3.0.X, MODs with substantial ACP panels used the .MODS panel/module, aka ACP_CAT_DOT_MODS.

In 3.1, with Extensions, should authors still put their ACP panel/modules into the .MODS, or should they integrate them into the core modules, i.e.: Board Configuration, or the Posting Panel, etc.

What's the consensus or guideline on the best practice for this in 3.1?
Has an irascible disposition.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Where Should Extensions ACP Panels Go?

Post by nickvergessen »

Should use .MODs I guess
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

It's really up to you. If you want to integrate with the core modules, that's fine. I'm not sure if there's an event for that yet, but if you want one, feel free to request it. Otherwise, you can add your own modules, either under the .MODs tab (which is still present for use) or create your own tab.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The thing about .MODs, is Extensions are not MODs anymore...right? So isn't it a little weird, semantically, to be putting extension controls under the older .MODs tab?

Maybe there should be an EXTENSIONS tab to take the place of the old .MODs tab, and coding guidelines say extensions can either put their controls into the core modules, create their own tab (only if their ACP panel is really huge and warrants its own tab) otherwise, use EXTENSIONS (ACP_CAT_EXTENSIONS)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Wasn't a 'Customisations' category going to be added? It should/could go under there?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

John P

Post by John P »

My clients expect their (custom) mods either in Quick Access because they want to use them much often or in a section best fit like user and groups or Email, whatever the mod will do. Until now I never used the .MODS section for them.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

MichaelC wrote:Wasn't a 'Customisations' category going to be added? It should/could go under there?
There is a "Customise" Tab, but that is for the install/uninstall of language packs, styles, and extensions.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

VSE+ wrote:
MichaelC wrote:Wasn't a 'Customisations' category going to be added? It should/could go under there?
There is a "Customise" Tab, but that is for the install/uninstall of language packs, styles, and extensions.
Whats wrong with putting extensions in there? They customise your board no?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

VSE+ wrote:The thing about .MODs, is Extensions are not MODs anymore...right? So isn't it a little weird, semantically, to be putting extension controls under the older .MODs tab?

Maybe there should be an EXTENSIONS tab to take the place of the old .MODs tab, and coding guidelines say extensions can either put their controls into the core modules, create their own tab (only if their ACP panel is really huge and warrants its own tab) otherwise, use EXTENSIONS (ACP_CAT_EXTENSIONS)
Or just rename the lang for the category and name it .Extensions or something.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

paulus wrote:Or just rename the lang for the category and name it .Extensions or something.
+1