[RFC] Migrations

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] Migrations

Post by EXreaction »

I am not really sure it should be done automatically, but perhaps before running the update we give the user the option to backup the database instead. Otherwise this would make updating difficult for very large boards because they'd have to wait for a database backup every time (when there are better methods than doing it from PHP).

emosbat

Post by emosbat »

edit: sorry sent to incorrect topic

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Making a database backup prior to installation, update, and purge sounds like a good idea, but we should make a few options for it (I know, new options clutter the ACP, but this would be the case where it's a good idea). I'd say we implement the following, with wording of course being up for discussion:
  • "Automatically backup database when enabling, updating, or purging extensions" -> This is to keep track of what the admin wants by default.
  • "Retain previous backup (Setting this to no will result in the previous backup being deleted and replaced by the new backup)" -> This way the admin can have automatic backups but not have to worry about space too much.
    And then on the action page for installing/updating/uninstalling:
  • "Automatically backup database" -> So it can be turned on per action
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We were discussing just the database updater, but this would work for extensions as well.

I was thinking of doing something simple like having the page show an option to download a database backup first or continue to perform the database updates.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

EXreaction wrote:I am not really sure it should be done automatically, but perhaps before running the update we give the user the option to backup the database instead. Otherwise this would make updating difficult for very large boards because they'd have to wait for a database backup every time (when there are better methods than doing it from PHP).
+1

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

imkingdavid wrote:Making a database backup prior to installation, update, and purge sounds like a good idea, but we should make a few options for it (I know, new options clutter the ACP, but this would be the case where it's a good idea). I'd say we implement the following, with wording of course being up for discussion:
  • "Automatically backup database when enabling, updating, or purging extensions" -> This is to keep track of what the admin wants by default.
  • "Retain previous backup (Setting this to no will result in the previous backup being deleted and replaced by the new backup)" -> This way the admin can have automatic backups but not have to worry about space too much.
    And then on the action page for installing/updating/uninstalling:
  • "Automatically backup database" -> So it can be turned on per action
+1

EXreaction's simple approach is a good idea as well.

Maybe the simple approach for 3.1 and the more extensive one for 3.2?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The first portion of Migrations has been merged by imkingdavid.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

nickvergessen wrote:
EXreaction wrote:An extension probably should not drop a phpBB table, that is just an example from one case where tables were dropped in a phpBB update. I was trying to show that in revert_schema the table must be recreated.
The problem I have with this kind of "roll-back" is, that additional columns from other Extensions will be dropped and not restored?
It would making deletes a bit more complicated, but can we just log the table/column structure in the migrations db, so we really have the same state after a rollback?
Related IRC log - https://gist.github.com/imkingdavid/cc2 ... 7574397b61
TL;DR: don't worry about it unless it actually becomes a problem.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The idea of prompting board owners to create database backups before installing/reverting extensions and updating the database was due to that being brought up. I can't really think of another way to handle that problem that is efficient in any way.

Blitze

Post by Blitze »

How about a board setting like so:

Backup database before installing/uninstalling extensions?
  • Yes (Recommended)
    • Prompt
    • save locally
  • No
With No = 0, Prompt = 1, and save = 2, or something like that. This way, the user can decide what's best for his/her board