Force RFC posters to attach a poll.

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Dragosvr92

Force RFC posters to attach a poll.

Post by Dragosvr92 »

When someone creates a RFC, i think they should start a poll with Yes/No, to keep track on who is in favour for the RFC to be made or not.
That way we can just see how many people agree with the RFC, without reading the entire page and count the persons.
That way we also avoid making useless posts containing "1+".
Previous user: TheKiller

Jessica.

Re: Force RFC posters to attach a poll.

Post by Jessica. »

You mean +1

and I agree

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

This will be solved when we have an ideas centre and RFCs will be for technical discussion.

Also this isn't an RFC about phpBB core so I've moved it to general development discussion
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

I disagree. Anonymous polls are pretty useless for the RFC use case.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

RFC = request for comment(s). If it was RFV (rquest for vote), I would not be against, but RFCs are for people to comment on the idea, not to agree, or disagree. Poll would remove "+1" posts, but will probably lead to less comments as well.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Senky wrote:RFC = request for comment(s). If it was RFV (rquest for vote), I would not be against, but RFCs are for people to comment on the idea, not to agree, or disagree. Poll would remove "+1" posts, but will probably lead to less comments as well.
The problem is that many comments are just votes. Some people just post "+1" (or worse, quote another +1 post and add +1 themselves :roll:). (See, for example, the Anti-Uppercase RFC.)

I think the poll is a good idea to get the community's feeling about whether an RFC should be implemented. If desired, people can discuss the reasons for their votes or discuss technical issues with a comment.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

TheKiller wrote:When someone creates a RFC, i think they should start a poll with Yes/No, to keep track on who is in favour for the RFC to be made or not.
That way we can just see how many people agree with the RFC, without reading the entire page and count the persons.
This assumes that RFCs are a voting system. Some RFCs fall in that category but many do not.

RFCs that have legitimate arguments pro and against are decided on by reading the entire discussion beginning to end, not counting votes.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

The comments will still be there!
Opinions as to why the RFC should(nt) be approved will be mentioned in posts.

People just "vote" by making an useless post saying 1+, because they dont have anything better else to say other than they just agree with the RFC.
This could be avoided with just a poll. They will still comment about the idea, but some that dont want to debate and dont bother to say what they like about it, could just vote, instead of making a lame post, increasing their post counts for just an "1+" message.
Oleg wrote: This assumes that RFCs are a voting system. Some RFCs fall in that category but many do not.
RFCs that have legitimate arguments pro and against are decided on by reading the entire discussion beginning to end, not counting votes.
Well, it kinda is a voting system as the biggest number of ppl giving their options, in comments, in favour of the RFC, get it in the core.
Do the 1+ votes have ANY legitimate arguments about the RFC?

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Depending on the RFC, yes.

Also, who is agreeing is important.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Then maybe it would be also a great idea to mention who voted to the poll, like in VB.
Yes i know this would belong to another topic. Could consider the poll thing after that feature is added into the core.

Who agrees is nice, yes. But an overall over the idea in the votes would be also helpful.