prosilver or problue?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

prosilver or problue?

Post by Meis2M »

Hi

the phpbb default style is prosilver but the color of this style is blue and its not silver... !!!
so my question is
prosilver or problue?

i have a suggestion for phpbb 3.1 and it is:

change the prosilver color !!!

it must be real prosilver.

tnx

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: prosilver or problue?

Post by Senky »

No, blue is great. Better to change "prosilver" to "problue", than to change colours of the prosilver.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Uuum.. this never come to my mind. Could someone from the styles team or any staff in charge as to why it was named prosilver?
Was it because subsilver was written already and you said to just change the sub to pro, and keep silver there?

I agree that i must be changed to something like problue. But... Lost of people are used to the style named as prosilver.
I guess people will have to be used that 3.1 has had the default stylename changed. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Nothing to do with the color. The original was named subsilver so the name is derived from that.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote:Nothing to do with the color. The original was named subsilver so the name is derived from that.
Thought so... But i dont see how a decision like this was made considering the style wasnt silver/grey coloured at all.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

And the name "proBlue" has already been used by another style.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

/a3 wrote:And the name "proBlue" has already been used by another style.
I dont think that matters much. The style was written for 3.0.0 and all it has different is a small improvement on its header.
It wasnt even popular. 126 downloads from 03 Apr 2008. The downloads are from stg and .com

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

If you read the Designing prosilver page, you will see that the original concept of the style was more silver than blue. I assume that the name was chosen first, and then the style evolved but the name was not altered. The style name will not be changed; it has not been an issue before, and it is not really an issue now.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

this is not a big issue but it is a mistake name...

prosilver built in 2008 and we are in 2013 i think this style is very simple. i think the default style of phpbb is not a 2013 style and its not a next generation style.
it is better think about a professional style.

see the vbulletin mybb ipboard default style and they are beautifuler than prosilver. i think phpbb core is moving to future but phpbb styles not.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Renaming might have more impact than you think, simply because there are so many styles that use template inheritance with prosilver as a base. All those would break instantly when you rename this.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.