[RFC] Multiquote

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Multiquote

Post by Oleg »

Merged topics.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

The V0.1 of the interface is ready.
http://brunoais.github.com/phpbb3Multiquote/
Loads of stuff is not implemented, this is just a simple, small test to see if the idea works and to check if this way of solving the problem is a viable way.
You are free and welcome to propose anything else here and to send PR against that repo.

Note: This might be obvious but, anyway: This repo only exists while the interface is being developed. After that I'll alter in phpbb's prosilver style directly to create the final version..

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Did you ever finish this or is it just a concept? I might just jump in myself and send a pr for this if you haven't.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

This is waiting for comments.
Has been waiting for comments since April.
I'm not good dealing with design, so I need some1 to work on the design and I can work on the rest to make this ready for merge into develop.

So, please! Some1 give me a design! I'll then make the HTML, CSS and the js required to make it work.

keith10456

Re: [RFC]Append quote in quick reply

Post by keith10456 »

imkingdavid wrote:Let's keep the current quote button as is and implement this with a "+" icon or something.
+1

I like the overall idea of having the ability to easily multi-quote but the quote feature needs to remain simple.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

brunoais wrote:This is waiting for comments.
Has been waiting for comments since April.
I'm not good dealing with design, so I need some1 to work on the design and I can work on the rest to make this ready for merge into develop.

So, please! Some1 give me a design! I'll then make the HTML, CSS and the js required to make it work.
I think it looks OK for starters but the +/- effect can be done away with and is not necessary. It wouldn't work as well as you think especially if the person splits the quote up. You'll also need to take into account if a user selects part of the text in the post and clicks the multi-quote button. You can try the quote buttons in the Topic Review panel and see how that works as it is already using JavaScript to perform the quoting. Selecting part of the text in the post and clicking on the Quote button will quote only the selected text, although that has it's own small issues.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Yeah... It's issues...
Seems like it will not do the job right...
It sounds like it forgets all BBCode when copying... Maybe I'm not testing well enough.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You might need further properties to render out to the page for BBCodes to make them "easier" by JS. As it is now it seems next to impossible to do that especially for custom BBCodes.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Yeah... As it is now, it requires to contact the server by AJAX and then work with the response.
There's still much discussion about the moving all tags to custom tags.
Hum... Dunno if this is good to leave to after we have the new BBCode parser and all BBCodes moved to custom.... Probably the best idea...
Anyway, always having this into account.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

IMHO, do the other things on your plate first (BBCode parser, topics only viewable by topic starter and whatever else you have). People can do multi-quote already in the topic review, so this isn't quite as important.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.