phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Reserved

Post by DavidIQ »

VSE+ wrote:2. Will MOD authors be required to only create extensions for 3.1, or will traditional code-altering MODs and the MODX format still be allowed too?
We (the MOD Team) have not made a final decision on this but what we are expecting is that little to no file edits be done in future extensions. In order to ease MOD authors into this we will give them a little wiggle room but we are working on clear documentation for the use of the hooks and will likely add a requirement that any code edits be just to add in a temporary hook location and that a ticket for it be created in the tracker to eliminate the need for the code edit in a future maintenance release.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

VSE+ wrote:
Oleg wrote:Upgrading from 3.0
I have several general questions about what the strategies are when the time to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 becomes reality, mostly with respect to how MODs will be affected:

1. If phpBB 3.1 will be an applied update to existing 3.0.X boards (like the way current updates are applied), what does that mean for boards that have a lot of MODs...will those MODs be allowed to exist in an updated 3.1 board?

2. Will MOD authors be required to only create extensions for 3.1, or will traditional code-altering MODs and the MODX format still be allowed too?

3. Like the way Apple releases beta/developer versions of their next OS so developers can have their software ready for it at the time of final release, will there be some sort of "gold" or "RC" pre-release strategy that will give MOD authors time to learn, rewrite and test their MODs as extensions, to minimize any sort of extension/style dry-spell at the time 3.1 is released?
There will be alpha, beta and RC releases before hand yes.

The update will be applied just like a maintenance update. However it will be highly recommend to return your file system to vanilla to prevent numerous issues that will arise, and also if you have a blog mod installed, then want to update, you'd have to un-install your blog mod to install your blog extension or you'd have two blogs installed at the same time (and might conflict).
DavidIQ wrote:
VSE+ wrote:2. Will MOD authors be required to only create extensions for 3.1, or will traditional code-altering MODs and the MODX format still be allowed too?
We (the MOD Team) have not made a final decision on this but what we are expecting is that little to no file edits be done in future extensions. In order to ease MOD authors into this we will give them a little wiggle room but we are working on clear documentation for the use of the hooks and will likely add a requirement that any code edits be just to add in a temporary hook location and that a ticket for it be created in the tracker to eliminate the need for the code edit in a future maintenance release.
David, Extensions don't support Edits (there is simply no way to do them, not file for them, nor anything in the installer). And MODs can't use events or any features extensions have. It kind of has to be completely one or completely the other.

EDIT: My mistake, it got pointed out to me that an extension could be included within a MOD.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Unknown Bliss wrote:David, Extensions don't support Edits (there is simply no way to do them, not file for them, nor anything in the installer). And MODs can't use events or any features extensions have. It kind of has to be completely one or completely the other.
Then call them MODs that will become extensions later. MODX will still be available for use. ;)

EXreaction

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by EXreaction »

Mods can contain extensions, if it's going to be allowed by policy. The modified code would just have to be safe and not run if the extension is not enabled.

The ModX code can include copy instructions that copies over extension files, the user would just then be required to enable it from the ACP Extension Manager.

If authors are going to be suggested to only include edits to add hooks, we'll need to make sure the updater will nicely handle the addition of the hook (if it is added to the code) in the future.

tornadoheart

Post by tornadoheart »

EXreaction wrote:If authors are going to be suggested to only include edits to add hooks, we'll need to make sure the updater will nicely handle the addition of the hook (if it is added to the code) in the future.
Why updater doesn't have a feature to be able first before starting update to check all the Mods/Extensions compatibility? then a warning appear to the admins to choose if they want to disable the conflict/incompatible Mods to be able to continue the update process OR cancel the process waiting for the authors of the Mods to have an update solving the issues with the new version of phpBB

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

First post updated.
tornadoheart wrote: Why updater doesn't have a feature to be able first before starting update to check all the Mods/Extensions compatibility? then a warning appear to the admins to choose if they want to disable the conflict/incompatible Mods to be able to continue the update process OR cancel the process waiting for the authors of the Mods to have an update solving the issues with the new version of phpBB
While this would be nice, we would prefer to ship 3.1 rather than wait for this functionality to be implemented.

The assumption is that all 3.0 modifications are incompatible with 3.1. It is up to mod authors to test their mods on 3.1 and release compatible versions.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

It is up to mod authors to test their mods on 3.1 and release compatible versions.
Given the current activity of 3.1 development and that of extensions...they have plenty of time.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

3Di

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
It is up to mod authors to test their mods on 3.1 and release compatible versions.
Given the current activity of 3.1 development and that of extensions...they have plenty of time.
And much more than that. 8-)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/graphs/contributors

This doesn't include all of the work done in other pull requests that have not yet been merged (e.g. notifications, soft delete, post revisions).

I believe the last two remaining issues before we can release a 3.1 alpha are migrations and template events. Migrations is being worked on by Nils and I and I believe template events are complete and are waiting to be merged. With it being the end of the semester and holiday season, things are a bit hectic for the next few weeks, but I would hope we have these items merged by mid January since, as far as I know, neither needs much more work.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

migrations and template events
At the end of all.. aren't minimal stuffs, need a lot of job. And once an Alpha is released, then a Beta should come.. then a first RC release.. and blah blah blah..

so: years, so to speak. Considering the speed of the Dev Team. Yes.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades