[RFC|Merged] Improve User Pruning feature

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Oleg

Re: [RFC|Merged] Improve User Pruning feature

Post by Oleg »

Both of the issues raised in the original post in this topic have been addressed, implemented and merged. Your suggestions have nothing to do with them.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Oleg wrote:Both of the issues raised in the original post in this topic have been addressed, implemented and merged. Your suggestions have nothing to do with them.
I find that a bit disingenuous. Your first reply in this topic dealt quite a bit with the output of the Prune Users function, not just the selection criteria or the performance issues raised in the first post. My post dealt with the output of the Prune Users function, too. The only difference is that my suggestion came after the RFC was accepted and merged.

Furthermore, your last post before mine commented that the preview output was not sorted (after the RFC was accepted). That's also not related to the two points raised in the initial post, yet I think that's a great suggestion. My suggestion just expanded on that and asked for a way to sort on all of the criteria that you could prune on.

So, again, if we're not allowed to discuss improvements to merged code in the original RFC topic, please split my posts off and I'll edit the first one to link back to this topic. And you might as well lock this topic (and any Merged RFC topics) if no further input is wanted on the RFC.

Anyway, are these screen shots still valid? If not, could we see new ones?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Pony99CA wrote:The only difference is that my suggestion came after the RFC was accepted and merged.
This is the part that makes all the difference.

You might want to read viewtopic.php?p=226416#p226416 last paragraph.
Pony99CA wrote: Furthermore, your last post before mine commented that the preview output was not sorted (after the RFC was accepted). That's also not related to the two points raised in the initial post, yet I think that's a great suggestion.
And that comment is equally going to fade into obscurity as long as it remains in a merged RFC topic.
Pony99CA wrote: So, again, if we're not allowed to discuss improvements to merged code in the original RFC topic, please split my posts off and I'll edit the first one to link back to this topic.
There is now too much mess to split it. Please start a new topic.
Pony99CA wrote: And you might as well lock this topic (and any Merged RFC topics) if no further input is wanted on the RFC.
RFC topics remain open for issues caused by merged changes, regressions, etc.
Pony99CA wrote: Anyway, are these screen shots still valid? If not, could we see new ones?
Try a current develop snapshot.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:The only difference is that my suggestion came after the RFC was accepted and merged.
This is the part that makes all the difference.

You might want to read viewtopic.php?p=226416#p226416 last paragraph.
Which said:
Oleg wrote:My plan was to merge the patch and mark the RFC finished. The other ideas that have been proposed have no code. If people want them implemented RFCs should be created for 3.2+.
That was almost 1.5 years ago, well before the code was merged. Did you tell all of the other commenters who posted in the interim (like AmigoJack, who actually provided a DIFF) to start a new topic?
Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: Furthermore, your last post before mine commented that the preview output was not sorted (after the RFC was accepted). That's also not related to the two points raised in the initial post, yet I think that's a great suggestion.
And that comment is equally going to fade into obscurity as long as it remains in a merged RFC topic.
Wonderful. So why not split everything after your linked post off into a new "Improve the Improved User Pruning Feature" topic?
Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: So, again, if we're not allowed to discuss improvements to merged code in the original RFC topic, please split my posts off and I'll edit the first one to link back to this topic.
There is now too much mess to split it. Please start a new topic.
There's only too much "mess" because somebody didn't do it "right" in the first place. And my starting a new topic won't capture all of the other pieces that will fade into obscurity (like AmigoJack's code and your suggestion). Is splitting a topic really so #$*(&# difficult? You're now basically requiring all of those people to find this new topic and re-post their stuff there when splitting is so much easier.

However, I'll tell you what -- I'll start the new topic and post my suggestion there if you will split the other posts that have suggestions over to that topic. (Please don't reply here if you'll do that -- just PM me. This is getting too off-topic as it is.)
Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: And you might as well lock this topic (and any Merged RFC topics) if no further input is wanted on the RFC.
RFC topics remain open for issues caused by merged changes, regressions, etc.
I can kind of agree with that, but shouldn't those really go in the tracker?
Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: Anyway, are these screen shots still valid? If not, could we see new ones?
Try a current develop snapshot.
Seriously? I have no idea how to do that and no time to set up a test board. Somebody already testing 3.1 (which apparently includes Area51) could do that in 5 minutes instead of the hour that it would take me to get the code and set up a new board. I bet that you could have done it in less time than it took you to write that last post. ;)

And, even if I did do that, that would only allow me to see the screens, not anybody else who might be interested in this. Even if you don't think that anything that I've said belongs in this topic, current screen shots certainly do.

Would it be possible to set up a demo system like at phpBB.com that allows people to automatically create a temporary board to see the UI and ACP? (UPDATE: I started the phpBB 3.1 Demo System topic to ask that.)

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Thanks, Oleg. I actually wanted to see the next page (the list of candidates) because that's what my suggestion was covering, but that image raised another question.

The Group drop-down help says "Selects all members of the group for pruning". I think that could mislead people into thinking that everybody in the group would be pruned (perhaps overriding the ANDing of the other fields). Presuming that's not the case, I would say "Only members of the group will be candidates for pruning", which implies that the other criteria can filter them even more.

Should that be a ticket?

Steve

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Sure.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Misleading Message in New User Pruning Feature

I'd still like to see the User Pruning confirmation output (ideally with multiple candidate users).

Steve