[RFC] Q&A plugin by default

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Q&A plugin by default

Post by Pony99CA »

naderman wrote:That I agree with entirely.
Remember my original post where I said that a default, random question wouldn't be so bad:
Regarding a default question, it's really not that bad. The default CAPTCHA is basically just as easy to break, but at least Q&A would come ready to work (no double selection like people have to do now). So how about a default question and a nag if the default question is still used? That allows having Q&A work "out of the box" and still lets the user know in a very visible way that they should change the question.
The default question would just make phpBB installation/configuration slightly easier and serve to show the user what a "good" question/answer is. He would still get a nag to change the question every time he logged into the ACP.

And, again, I think a random Q&A is still far better than the current default CAPTCHA which seems like it can be broken by bots more easily than it can be read by humans. :D

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:
Oleg wrote:One of the benefits of having q&a configured during installation was said to be the fact that q&a would be turned on, as our current configuration process is nontrivial/hard to use/multi-step - take your pick.

Instead of addressing the problem of bad UI by doing configuration during installation, I would suggest addressing the problem of bad UI by improving the UI.
So what's more important? Fixing the UI now and holding off on implementing this until that is done, or going ahead and implementing this is the "bad" UI and changing the UI and adapting this to work with it? Anyway, the UI in general needs its own RFC.
I agree with David. The default CAPTCHA has to go now (phpBB 3.1, if not phpBB 3.11). The current default leads to far too many support posts and wastes team time.

Q&A is the only one recommended by the phpBB team members, so it should be the default. And, as I mentioned previously, I'd go so far as to eliminate all of the other built-in CAPTCHAs except, possibly, ReCAPTCHA. (I'd keep the CAPTCHA plug-in system, of course.) Does anybody else think that would be a good idea?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

I don't think that asking the admin to come up with some questions and answers is such a burden.

As a forum administrator, he is already tasked to invent the names of some forums as well as descriptions for those forums.

Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

imkingdavid wrote:
Oleg wrote:One of the benefits of having q&a configured during installation was said to be the fact that q&a would be turned on, as our current configuration process is nontrivial/hard to use/multi-step - take your pick.

Instead of addressing the problem of bad UI by doing configuration during installation, I would suggest addressing the problem of bad UI by improving the UI.
So what's more important? Fixing the UI now and holding off on implementing this until that is done, or going ahead and implementing this is the "bad" UI and changing the UI and adapting this to work with it? Anyway, the UI in general needs its own RFC.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13485626

Working on EXE, code share in VB2013, if someone want to re-write feel free to is it could help with security...