Get rid of "No unread post"

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Get rid of "No unread post"

Post by DavidIQ »

bantu wrote:
Oleg wrote:If topic marking for guests is off, they will never have any read posts, therefore it's wrong/pointless to tell them that there are unread posts.
I agree.

If guest tracking is on and Cookies are off, posts will always appear as unread which sounds like acceptable behaviour to me.
+1. If the feature is enabled and the guest does not have cookies enabled that falls on them. There is nothing misleading about the message in that case as the user is knowingly and purposefully deleting their cookies.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

John P wrote:I delete cookies on regular base and I believe a lot of people do this because of so much cookies, so everytime I delete cookies i didn't read one message the board is telling.
This message is pointless in this way and if a user want to know which message he read or didn't read he should register at the board.
This message is misleadng.
You're the first person I've ever heard of who does that, and I've done research on stuff like this.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

^ I suppose some are fearful (used politely) of where they have browsed.

Frug

Post by Frug »

callumacrae wrote:You're the first person I've ever heard of who does that, and I've done research on stuff like this.
You can't seriously mean you've never heard of anyone deleting cookies after doing research on it. I know I scrap mine frequently except for a few sites on a whitelist.

Anyway +1 for the message being ok if the feature is enabled, regardless of cookies. If the feature is off it shouldn't be there though.

John P

Post by John P »

callumacrae wrote: You're the first person I've ever heard of who does that, and I've done research on stuff like this.

Well it's on every board in the footer, "delete all board cookies"

If I visit the board the first time I didn't read any message while the board is saying there are no unread messages.

Frug

Post by Frug »

Browsers also have incognito or private browsing mode which afaik will never store cookies. Also, while I doubt SEO is a huge priorty with something so small, a crawler shouldnt get that title on all topics.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Frug wrote:Browsers also have incognito or private browsing mode which afaik will never store cookies. Also, while I doubt SEO is a huge priorty with something so small, a crawler shouldnt get that title on all topics.
There is no way of detecting that, though
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

^ Yup... Makes a lot of sense. Remove the darn thing. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

Frug

Post by Frug »

callumacrae wrote:
Frug wrote:Browsers also have incognito or private browsing mode which afaik will never store cookies. Also, while I doubt SEO is a huge priorty with something so small, a crawler shouldnt get that title on all topics.
Just providing it as another usage case where cookies will not be stored even though users are not just 'being le dumb'

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Frug wrote:
callumacrae wrote:
Just providing it as another usage case where cookies will not be stored even though users are not just 'being le dumb'
They're stored until the session ends, which is long enough to make it not worth removing the link.
My blog