[RFC] Require Subject on *all* posts

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Require Subject on *all* posts

Post by Pony99CA »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:My preference would be for

if (strlen(post_subject) is 0) then
let post_subject = "Re: " + topic_title
I agree with this (later called the "silent option"). If somebody removed the Subject, that's just silly and we should replace it. If they removed it and forgot to put in a new Subject, most likely they can edit the Subject again (unless the Admin prevents that).

I have also changed the Subject -- for example, in the old "Custom BBCodes" topic on phpBB.com, I would change the Subject to reflect the BBCode that was being discussed. Subjects on posts are useful, IMHO.

Also, for the people who don't want Subjects on all posts but the topic start, are we talking about removing the Subject field from the posts table or just not displaying the entry for all posts but the first? If the latter, can't that be done with a simple style change or two?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.