[RFC|Rejected] Include vendor/ in develop repository

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
EXreaction

[RFC|Rejected] Include vendor/ in develop repository

Post by EXreaction »

There have been a number of people who've been running into problems lately because composer is not able to load the dependencies for them.

See: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=42757&start=30
Also check more recent travis builds, many times they fail because dependencies cannot be reached.

I believe it would be good to populate vendor/ in the develop branch and update it as needed (which should not be often).

Oleg

Re: [RFC] Include vendor/ in develop repository

Post by Oleg »

What about pull requests that require additional dependencies? They will become silly huge.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

EXreaction wrote:There have been a number of people who've been running into problems lately because composer is not able to load the dependencies for them.

See: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=42757&start=30
Also check more recent travis builds, many times they fail because dependencies cannot be reached.

I believe it would be good to populate vendor/ in the develop branch and update it as needed (which should not be often).
-1. If you can use git its not hard to run the very simple command. Recently we encountered an issue because github changed a url which affected some php 5.3.x versions, it happens. A PR was submitted quite soon after.

Including the vendor directory makes things a lot slower.

We are looking at generating nightly builds (only when changes have been made) which will include the vendor directory.

Also they would be slightly nightmarish to deal with because composer downloads the git repositories. The whole point of composer is to avoid submodules.

It would also, as oleg said, cause problems and conflicts whilst merging as it would attempt to merge the two versions.

It simply isn't worth it.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Can't composer still be left there to be used? If they need to update or add dependencies, they just run the commands for their own repository, which I would think should just overwrite their vendor/.

If we're talking about size of the repository in total, the phpBB/ directory is 13.3MB, of which about 3.3MB is in vendor/

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

EXreaction wrote:Can't composer still be left there to be used? If they need to update or add dependencies, they just run the commands for their own repository, which I would think should just overwrite their vendor/.

If we're talking about size of the repository in total, the phpBB/ directory is 13.3MB, of which about 3.3MB is in vendor/
Including the vendor directory would almost entirely defeat the point of using Composer, so -1 from me.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I also disagree with doing this. The point of using Composer is to separate our own software from our dependencies; packaging them together makes no sense to me. Also, PR diffs that either include new dependencies or, after running the composer install command, update existing dependencies would become too cluttered to be useful.

Yes, some people are having troubles with downloading the files some times, but I would rather work on fixing those issues.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

As long as nightly builds are provided then this should not be a problem. We need to give any and all users the ability to code against our base and submit patches, not just those that are able to run the commands to update Composer. This board has many technical users and even some of them have been having problems.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

As long as vendor is gitignored, vendor can be versioned in git with a slight delay after the main repository and users would be told to clone vendor repository after cloning the main repository, which will work for nearly everyone submitting small/first time patches. This arrangement I will support.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

MichaelC wrote:Recently we encountered an issue because github changed a url which affected some php 5.3.x versions, it happens. A PR was submitted quite soon after.
Was composer fixed/yelled at for using undocumented github internals?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Oleg wrote:
MichaelC wrote:Recently we encountered an issue because github changed a url which affected some php 5.3.x versions, it happens. A PR was submitted quite soon after.
Was composer fixed/yelled at for using undocumented github internals?
They weren't using un-documented git internals? They were normal urls to download files but github changed their SSL handling causing the break.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.