[RFC|Merged] Allow Integration With Main Web Site

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: [RFC|Merged] Allow Integration With Main Web Site

Post by bantu »

+1

+merged

BTRFISHING

Post by BTRFISHING »

I would prefer to see links added in the header, not breadcrumbs / logo.

If you check out http://www.btrfishing.com/forum/ you can see what I manually did on our forums ( ensure AdBlock is off so that they display properly )

Maybe there can be a way to add various links back to main site ( or any site ) via ACP that line up horizontally next to each other, a certain % or pixels below top of header, padded on each side couple of pixels, and always align in center of that div or cell. Don't know if this would be it's own

Code: Select all

<td></td>
or what style mod's would do.

I think this would be more beneficial than adding another link in breadcrumbs. Really, if you're on the forum I want the start of the breadcrumbs to take you to the board index and nothing else. This could annoy many users who assume first link takes you to forum index, not main site's index. I wouldn't want someone to check the forums, be re-directed off accidentally, and not return to the forums. The same can be said for header, I want the forum image / logo to keep you on the forums. I wouldn't want to make it difficult to just get back to the board index.

Personally, I think a system that allows for other sites to be linked in the HEADER would be more helpful / user friendly. This way they are not integrated into the forums expected functions but are available at the top of every page if needed.

Would like to hear what you guys think.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

BTRFISHING wrote:I would prefer to see links added in the header, not breadcrumbs / logo.

If you check out http://www.btrfishing.com/forum/ you can see what I manually did on our forums ( ensure AdBlock is off so that they display properly )
When you say "header", I think that you mean "site menu" (if you mean your Home/Advertise/Contact/Web Store) links. The breadcrumbs are already in the "header" (overall_header.html).
BTRFISHING wrote:Maybe there can be a way to add various links back to main site ( or any site ) via ACP that line up horizontally next to each other, a certain % or pixels below top of header, padded on each side couple of pixels, and always align in center of that div or cell. Don't know if this would be it's own

Code: Select all

<td></td>
or what style mod's would do.

I think this would be more beneficial than adding another link in breadcrumbs.
That would be fine, too. Just write a up an RFC for what you want. However, this functionality is fine for what I need (obviously, as I'm the one who requested it :D).
BTRFISHING wrote:Really, if you're on the forum I want the start of the breadcrumbs to take you to the board index and nothing else. This could annoy many users who assume first link takes you to forum index, not main site's index. I wouldn't want someone to check the forums, be re-directed off accidentally, and not return to the forums. The same can be said for header, I want the forum image / logo to keep you on the forums. I wouldn't want to make it difficult to just get back to the board index.
That's a red herring.

First, if you don't want the new function, just don't see the new ACP controls and phpBB will work exactly like it did before.

Second, if you have a site menu on your other pages (which you do), you'll probably have a "forum" or "forums" item in the menu (which you do), so how hard is it really for people to get back to the forums?

Third, it's a common Web standard that clicking a site's logo takes you to the site's home page. phpBB now supports that standard instead of having the logo take you to the Board Index (unless the home page is the Board Index or you haven't set up the new ACP controls).

Finally, with Portal MODs, the first link in the breadcrumbs is generally the Portal page, not the Board Index. Plus, if people don't actually read the links before clicking them, whose fault is it really if they find themselves somewhere that they didn't expect?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.