Thanks System

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
nathansuchy

Thanks System

Post by nathansuchy »

This will be a system that allows a user to click thanks under the user's name and include a user rank system all integrated into phpbb.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Thanks System

Post by Senky »

Absolutelly not!
Fine for extension.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

Senky wrote:Absolutelly not!
Fine for extension.

+1
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

Senky wrote:Absolutelly not!
You seem... emphatic. :) Can you provide reasons why you feel so strongly? Frankly I don't see that it's a big deal. There should not be that much code involved, and it would be easy to provide an admin on/off switch, perhaps even by forum.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I think that by the time we're ready to go with 4.0 this would have garnered enough support to convince the developers to do something about it. There was already a proposal for 3.1 for it (rejected I think) and the 3.0 MOD is the third most downloaded MOD right now on phpBB.com so I think we will eventually have something like this in the core and I would dare to say most definitely for 4.0.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

A thanks system would make a great example extension :-D
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

It should be kept simple though - the MOD referenced by DavidIQ is sooooo over the top.

Just a simple "Thanks" button in each post, next to the Quote and Report buttons.
Then under the post, the list of users who have clicked "Thanks" for that post (and maybe the date thanked).
And then in your profile under your avatar, under "Posts: XX", a simple thank stat:
"Thanks: XX"
"Thanked XX times"

Also, quite simply, the "Thanked XX times" stat could also be listed in the member list to allow people to sort members by the times they have been thanked, to see what member is most helpful, for example.

And maybe also an ACP option to enable/disable post thanking.
Has an irascible disposition.

Martian

Post by Martian »

Instead of "thanks", I would prefer a simple +1 & -1 kudos (or the similar thumbs up/down). The total score of a post can be displayed in the post, and optionally also the total score of a user in the profile. Just look at this very thread how popular it is to give +1 & -1 kudos.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

While I don't have a problem with something like this in the core code, the previous two posts illustrate one of the problems -- how many different ways of doing this there are. You can do Thanks/Like/+1, Ranking (0-5/10), Thumbs Up/Down, etc. You can do that for posts and/or topics, too.

Maybe phpBB could implement a very simple system (simpler than VSE's suggestion) that other extensions could override. For example, I would not display a list of people who thanked anybody in the post, just the total count of thanks, nor would I show in anybody's profiles how many times they had thanked people. (I might not even display how many times users were thanked, also that's useful for showing in the Member List, too.)

That would get some of the database infrastructure in place and if some admin decided that he wanted to replace how the counts were done, he could do that.

If somebody wanted both ranking and thanking :) they could just add ranking as an extension instead of overriding thanking.

It would also show that phpBB was listening to users. They did that once by adding the (very limited) Quick Reply, so there is a precedent.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.