[RFC] Cookie notice

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Cookie notice

Post by MichaelC »

I'd say a seperate RFC for the german imprint but I don't see why not if you can find someone to develop it.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

callumacrae wrote:If it is going to be that invasive and long, please have this option disabled by default.
I agree. I do not wish to add this on my forum. Its just a cookie. Doesnt do any harm.
If the user doesnt want the cookie, they can simple block cookies from your site.
Previous user: TheKiller

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Senky wrote:+1, also for dsiabled by default, but I would recommend adding this option also to installation process (you know, a lot of boards are located in EU ...).
Any "legal" type stuff should be done the same way -- COPPA, the EU cookie law, etc. Given how many different jurisdictions there are, it may be best not to try to deal with that during installation.

As I said, maybe we should have a "Legal Settings" section in the ACP to control COPPA, this cookie law, the German Impressum/Imprint law, etc. That way everything would be grouped together and easily located. The installation documentation could tell people to check that page for these things. (Yes, it may require a separate RFC.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

How about something as simple as:
"This site uses cookies. Click here for more info!"
Where "here" is a link to the privacy policy section explaining cookies (for which I still suggest the wording I used in the first post, or something similar).

And yes, an ACP setting would be a good idea.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:How about something as simple as:
Where "here" is a link to the privacy policy section explaining cookies (for which I still suggest the wording I used in the first post, or something similar).

Doesn't cover the legal basis I don't think. Theoretically you have to get consent but there is a type of consent (which I can't remember the name of) where its just having knowledge of something and choosing not to do anything about it when you could is consent to it happening.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

EXreaction wrote:Please make it an option configurable in the ACP (to display/not display the message)
Agreed (and disabled by default)...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:How about something as simple as:

Doesn't cover the legal basis I don't think. Theoretically you have to get consent but there is a type of consent (which I can't remember the name of) where its just having knowledge of something and choosing not to do anything about it when you could is consent to it happening.
"Implied consent", maybe? The way I read the law required detailed explanation of non-essential cookies (including third-party cookies, like Google Analytics used by phpBB.com ;)) and a way to opt out of them.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Way to opt out:
Built into browsers - Or -
Cease using the website

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Way to opt out:
Built into browsers - Or -
Cease using the website
Do a lot of browsers allow disabling JavaScript on a per-site basis, much less on a per-cookie basis?

Regardless, I presume that the lawmakers didn't want either of those all-or-nothing approaches.

And remember, the law isn't just about cookies, but anything non-essential downloaded (Web bugs/beacons, for example, would probably fall under this law). No, phpBB doesn't use those, but your first option would require disabling all images on a Web site that did.

Steve

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Browsers don't generally make it easy to block certain sites from setting cookies...probably because they think it's ridiculous.