FAQ Manager

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
EXreaction

FAQ Manager

Post by EXreaction »

Would there be any interest in making the FAQ Manager a default feature of phpBB?
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/faq_manager

There are some screenshots here for those of you who are not familiar with it.

The code is pretty old (but still works), doesn't support FTP/downloads (only direct write), and needs a couple other minor things changed, but that would be fairly easy to fix if there was interest.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Senky »

Items are saved into DB, or it changes php file directly? I would go in the way of saving it into DB (there will never be overload because of large amount of rows in such DB table, I think).

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

good idea

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

It's a nice mod, but I feel that a feature like this should use a lot more AJAX than that mod does.

+1, though.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Currently, the FAQ is not used (i.e. changed per board) much, from what I've seen. I'm not sure if that is a direct consequence due to the fact that you have to edit a file to change FAQ entries or it is because people don't really use FAQs very often any more. If the former, then this would definitely be beneficial, as it would allow administrators to easily modify their FAQ page without having to edit files, and would possibly encourage more administrators to do so. If the latter, then this is probably not something we need to focus our time on, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it eventually.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Senky wrote:Items are saved into DB, or it changes php file directly? I would go in the way of saving it into DB (there will never be overload because of large amount of rows in such DB table, I think).
It uses the php file. I wouldn't want to change it to db just because I'd have to rewrite the entire FAQ system and build a new manager for it (that's more work than I desire for this).
callumacrae wrote:It's a nice mod, but I feel that a feature like this should use a lot more AJAX than that mod does.

+1, though.
Does ACP Forums use any Ajax now? That's what this was based off of. If it does it would be fairly easy to copy from that.
imkingdavid wrote:Currently, the FAQ is not used (i.e. changed per board) much, from what I've seen. I'm not sure if that is a direct consequence due to the fact that you have to edit a file to change FAQ entries or it is because people don't really use FAQs very often any more. If the former, then this would definitely be beneficial, as it would allow administrators to easily modify their FAQ page without having to edit files, and would possibly encourage more administrators to do so. If the latter, then this is probably not something we need to focus our time on, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it eventually.
I would think it's a mix of both. There is really no way to update the FAQ easily (you _can_ with the language editor, but it's a terrible experience), but also most boards are not large enough to warrant making a large FAQ page (especially if it's complicated).

The reason I'm suggesting this is because my old FAQ Manager mod still works perfectly and, if everyone is fine with using the 3.0 style of code in this module, it would only require minor work to add a couple of necessary features for all board owners.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

EXreaction wrote:...It uses the php file. I wouldn't want to change it to db just because I'd have to rewrite the entire FAQ system and build a new manager for it (that's more work than I desire for this)...
Okay, it is sufficient, indeed.
EXreaction wrote:...Does ACP Forums use any Ajax now? That's what this was based off of. If it does it would be fairly easy to copy from that.
According to my knowledge yes - moving forum up or down uses ajax.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

+1
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I don't really think that many people would benefit from this. Nobody reads the FAQ, anyway. :P

Better as an extension, in my opinion.