Question about the unread pms

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Question about the unread pms

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I noticed that there is a new link added for viewing unread PMs.
I cant possibly understand the purpuse of it O-o

The existing pm link shows you when you have a new message. If it is new, its obviously unread, and after you read it, both the pm count and the unread message dissapears... So i really CANNOT See what good does the unread pm O_O
Its silly and i think it should be removed from 3.1.0.
<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_PM --> (<a href="{U_PRIVATEMSGS}">{PRIVATE_MESSAGE_INFO}<!-- IF PRIVATE_MESSAGE_INFO_UNREAD -->, {PRIVATE_MESSAGE_INFO_UNREAD}<!-- ENDIF --></a>)<!-- ENDIF -->
EDIT:

I Have noticed this in the header...

Code: Select all

<!--
		<div class="headerbar">
			<div class="inner">

<div id="site-description" style="margin-left:20px;">
				<!- - <a href="{U_INDEX}" title="{L_INDEX}" id="logo">{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a> - ->
				<h1><a href="{U_INDEX}" style="color:#fff;text-decoration:none;" title="{L_INDEX}">{SITENAME}</a></h1>
				<p>{SITE_DESCRIPTION}</p>
				<p class="skiplink"><a href="#start_here">{L_SKIP}</a></p>
			</div>

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_SEARCH and not S_IN_SEARCH -->
			<div id="search-box">
				<form action="{U_SEARCH}" method="get" id="search">
				<fieldset>
					<input name="keywords" id="keywords" type="text" maxlength="128" title="{L_SEARCH_KEYWORDS}" class="inputbox search" value="<!-- IF SEARCH_WORDS-->{SEARCH_WORDS}<!-- ELSE -->{L_SEARCH_MINI}<!-- ENDIF -->" onclick="if(this.value=='{LA_SEARCH_MINI}')this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='')this.value='{LA_SEARCH_MINI}';" />
					<input class="button2" value="{L_SEARCH}" type="submit" /><br />
					<a href="{U_SEARCH}" title="{L_SEARCH_ADV_EXPLAIN}">{L_SEARCH_ADV}</a> {S_SEARCH_HIDDEN_FIELDS}
				</fieldset>
				</form>
			</div>
		<!-- ENDIF -->

</div>
		</div>
-->
The comments are wrong...
Previous user: TheKiller

psoTFX

Re: Question about the unread pms

Post by psoTFX »

Unless things have changed a "new pm" is shown until you visit the private message panel in UCP. Once you've visited that, it's no longer new - you're deemed to have seen it. Now it may still be unread because of course you may not have clicked on it. Not everyone immediately clicks on the new pm to view it - they may for whatever reason decide to ignore it, view it later, whatever.

If that's no longer the case - and I honestly cannot remember and have not checked the code - then sure, what you say is true. If not, then it needs to stay.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Wait.. i am getting more confused. I sent you a PM to see it for yourself...
Its crappy and annoying. Remove it.
Previous user: TheKiller

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

New PM = you have not seen it, nor have you looked at your inbox to see it since it was sent.
Unread PM = you have seen it in your inbox, but you have not clicked into it.

When you receive a new PM, you see something like this: (1 new message)
If you enter your inbox and read it, that turns to: (0 new messages)
If you choose to leave your inbox without reading it, the PM numbers will look like: (0 new messages, 1 unread message)

The reason behind this is to differentiate between PMs you have received and know about but have not yet had time to read, and PMs you have received but may not yet know about (because you have not yet viewed your inbox since it was sent).

I do not see anything annoying about this behavior. I sometimes do not have time to read PMs when I come online, but want to make sure it's nothing important, so I will go to my inbox. If it does appear to be time-sensitive, I will read it. Otherwise, I will leave it for later. However, if we do not show the unread count of PMs, it is likely I will forget about it next time I come online.

What do you think is wrong with it?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Works exactly like ikd said. I don't see anything wrong here in fact I would say this is an improvement over what we currently do in 3.0

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

And exactly what I said ... so it's doing what it was intended to do