[RFC]Make permission system easy!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
yops

[RFC]Make permission system easy!

Post by yops »

Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for their hard work, and keeping the script open source.

So here is my suggestion: make the permission system simple like it used to be in phpbb 2
The permission system in phpBB3 is really complicated and need too much time to get used to.
Here is some interesting points:

It is Hard to
-Add board administrator
-Add board moderator
-Edit forum permissions
-Manipulate local/global terms

Now some complicated stuff such as
-Forum without permissions, should be replaced with standard permission, I remember the first time creation board forums it was really wired as they don't show up in the index
-Add this permission: "Guests can see forums topic but can't read them": so if I visit this forum for example, I will be able to see all topics there but I won't be able to read them

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC]Make permission system easy!

Post by naderman »

Moving this to discussion as it lacks technical detail on how to implement the proposal.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Just to get some ideas...

What do you think of the permissions system forumotion created for their ACP? Does it make sense? Too simple? Could it be improved?
What do you think of the permissions system freeforums created for their ACP? Does it make sense? Too simple? Could it be improved?

If you answer those, at least I would be able to understand what you mean (kinda) and what you want to be available.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I agree that the permissions system is complex, especially to new administrators. It could use a makeover on the frontend, but I personally do not have any idea concerning the best way to go about it.

In terms of what you suggested, that sounds a lot like the already existing Permission Roles. You can define a preset of permissions and then select that from the list when applying permissions to forums so that you don't have to manually select the permissions each time.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

yops

Post by yops »

Well the permission system in phpBB 2 was really simple, it have a standard permissions and it is very easy to edit.
Also adding admins/mods is not that simple in phpBB 3...too much docs you need to read to be able to manage this permission system

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

brunoais wrote: What do you think of the permissions system forumotion created for their ACP? Does it make sense? Too simple? Could it be improved?
What do you think of the permissions system freeforums created for their ACP? Does it make sense? Too simple? Could it be improved?
Is there some way to evaluate these without signing up for an account there?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

yops

Post by yops »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
brunoais wrote: What do you think of the permissions system forumotion created for their ACP? Does it make sense? Too simple? Could it be improved?
Is there some way to evaluate these without signing up for an account there?
Demo forum for freeforums:
Username: bbper
Password: phpbbperm

Demo forum for forumotion:
Username: admin
Password: phpbb3perm

Freeforums permissions system seems to be very easy, same for forumotion

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Use permission roles, they are far easier

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Both forummotion and free forums' ACP for phpBB in easy mode do not have roles system available, you need to use the advanced mode for that.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

yops wrote:Here is some interesting points:

It is Hard to
-Add board administrator
-Add board moderator
-Edit forum permissions
-Manipulate local/global terms
The first two are very easy (add them to the appropriate groups) -- unless you're a complete newbie.

I have no idea what the fourth item means.

And, yes, permissions can be daunting, but part of that is because they're so powerful.

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.